Is this sexist or what?!?

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
So, I have a lot of problems with a lot of my parents beliefs, especially in regard to the place of a woman. They seem to be playing favorites to all my brothers AGAIN. I have a few little brothers in scouts, and they regularly go one two-three hour trips called "go see it's" dad says it's moat imprtant that he gets the boys to these. But, I and my sister get jypped! Because of all the scout stuff... She can't do 4H, neither can I, we can't go to youth group, and it's really getting old! Then, when I tried to talk to my dad and mom about it today... They started snapping at me! They wouldn't even let me finish a sentence! And then they finished their lecture with "be submissive! You're a girl, and your job is to be submissive to the men in your life! One day, you might want to get married, and you will have to obey your husband, no questions asked, no matter what!"
barnie.gif
THIS IS SO BACKWARDS!! and of course, if I fail to be "submissive" they take away my friend time, my email... Ugh! They barely let me talk to guys if they can help it! And of course, they are always mad at me because of my joint condition, which causes me to be unable to do as much housework as I used to do. Whenever I say that I'm in pain, they get all annoyed at me, roll their eyes, sigh, belittle me... I can't take it anymore! But I can't say anything to them!
somad.gif

Thanks for letting me rant, people. I've just been furious about this.

Quote:
Heck yeah thats sexist!!!!!!!!!! So sorry you have to deal with that, I would by fuming!!!!!!!!! And you do not ever have to be sudmissive to a man!!! And if you are in pain they should understand and lighten your load
sad.png
Your parents should be having some respect for you!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif
For you for the pickle you are in!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Heck yeah thats sexist!!!!!!!!!! So sorry you have to deal with that, I would by fuming!!!!!!!!! And you do not ever have to be sudmissive to a man!!! And if you are in pain they should understand and lighten your load
sad.png
Can I ask how old you are? I am 16 and it just seems if you're older your parents should be having some respect for you!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif
For you for the pickle you are in!!!!

And they don't think kids deserve any respect, because we're too young.
rant.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow
ep.gif
I thats definately sexist
hugs.gif
I would be so ticked to
barnie.gif
When stuff happens like that, you need to give them what they want, but let it backfire. If they want submissive give them submissive, dont even talk to them, move out of there way when they walk toward you, completely Ignore them!! Give them what they want, but take it to the extreem as to where they cant stand it.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Yes, that is disgustingly disrespectful of you and your sisters as human beings, not to mention it does a disservice to the sons as far as teaching them how to be respectful and well balanced people. This is what I would suggest. Try to get a job as soon as possible, things like baby/pet sitting, yard work, etc. may also help. Save up as much money as you can. Leave home, preferably choosing to surround yourself with caring people. Maintaining contact with parents is a personal choice, and one I'd base upon how well you can handle them emotionally. Sharing a home with roommates or renting a studio apartment can help keep costs low for you initially. Education and financial independence tend to be key factors in having more freedom in life. I know some people who made the mistake of immediately getting married/living with someone who offered financial support, and getting stuck in the sort of life they were trying to avoid (dependence on another). I know another (male) who let home at 15, worked to pay rent in a studio apartment, ate ramen, and was able to work their way up. Doubt there are any regrets on his end. Whatever you decide, wish you the best.

Sadly, we live way out in the country, so no neighbors to petsit for. And we are homeschooled, as are all of our friends. So theres really nowhere to go. I just need to tough it out for three years.
barnie.gif

ETA spelling.

Last edited:
Tanicha -- I have to say that I, too, am Christian (I am assuming your family is) and that is disrespectiful and disgusting. I am married and that verse does not mean black and white, be submissive to your hubby by "obeying his commands with no questions asked". A husband or parent is supposed to love the wife/child as Christ loved the church -- unending, respectful, forgiving, uplifting love.

I, too, had parents who thought that children had no say and were to be obey them without question. I am sorry you are going through this. I hope you can make it through! I ended up living out my senior year with youth leaders and then after graduating lived on my own. I don't speak to my parents. I certainly hope your parents turn around somehow. I haven't had a relationship with mine for 13 years. It is hard, but one has to be respected and loved. I truly hope they come around for you!
hugs.gif

Quote:
I am a christian, and i agree! But i dont think my parents got the gist of that verse... i dont eant to lose contact with my parents. i know i have some major issues with them, but they are the people wgo gave me life... i just wishi could get some respect! I do as much as mom to help around the house, to the point where my siblings prefer me to her... but i get nothing for it but belittling and using!

I hope that doesn't happen for you nor would I want to see that happen to anyone. My parents were very good at picking out pieces of verses, which meant something different, and using them in this instance or that. There were many things going on in my situation. Can they sit down with you and listen to how you feel? You deserve that!

They wont let me. Tried today, to just make a point, and they shouted me down, wouldnt let me speak. *sigh* after ehat happened with my older sister, i told.myself i wuldnt let anyone make me feel worthless agan, but here tey are, trying to do just that! Im more or less staying away from them today...

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, im on my phone right now and the keyboard is small.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom