Is this shrink wrapped?

tk10

Songster
Apr 12, 2017
WI
Button quail. I started with 6 viable eggs on day 10 of handling. I have had 1 hatch on day 19. The others had movement but now nothing. It's been more than 24 hours since the one hatched. I haven't had a lot of luck keeping just 1 alive, but I'll try. So for educational purposes, I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with the rest of the eggs. All appear to be fully formed, but look like this as I'm opening. Quail eggs are hard to candle, but I'm not seeing movement before I help/eggtopsy. I have 2 more eggs that were viable but am going to open them up as well. If I were interrupting an active hatch, there would be movement, right?
20170706_140645.jpg

Also, so it's not all horrible pictures, here is the lone survivor.T
1499368541700842515392.jpg

The first photo looks like a unfully formed baby. Shrink wrap is when the membrane in the egg gets to dry making it deadly and hard for the chicks to hatch, suffocating them. This can happen anytime but is more common a bit or right before hatching.

If you opened an egg that was going to hatch it will definitely move.
Thanks, I thought so but part of me was freaking out that I might be killing living chicks. So is there anything I can do to stop having late quitters like This? Temps have been pretty stable. ,

Next time try 99.5 and 45-55 humidity. It's hard to have an idea on when to stop turning because our button quail hatched on day 16.

Back
Top Bottom