Is this Silkie a cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by queenbeezz, Oct 9, 2010.

1. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    [​IMG]

I was sold this little guy as a pure Silkie chick. All the pics I have seen of Silkie roos show them with the little "hat" of feathers and no comb showing. Is it possible that he is a cross. not that it matters, I think he's adorable. He has the blue under the ear. His comb and wattles are purplish. What do ya'll think? There is something almost Cochin-like about him.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Mine look a lot different in the comb. I can only guess he is not a purebred.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not a cross as he has silkie feathering, just very poor match to the standard in several areas. If you love him, that is all that matters.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He is really cute!! [​IMG]

6. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Yeah, he's a cute little thing.[​IMG] He has the funniest crow, sounds like someone is holding his nose. He likes the ladies. It's hysterical when he goes after one of the Orps, they just stand there and look at him like "you've got to be kidding little man".

7. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I believe he is a mix, probably the result of crossing two silkie mixes or a mix back to a pure Silkie. He is cute, but in my opinion not a pure Silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by