Is this silver button quail a male or female?

Is the silver on male or female?

• Male

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Female

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

kovalines

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 3, 2012
I have two button quails here, which supposed to be a couple. But the silver one ( the supposed female) has a white area under her chin, but I don't know if it's common or if it's a bilb. What do you think: male or female.

P.S: s/he is 40 days old

i am gonna stick with female, they are setup in the "couple" position, in the wild they sit like this so they can keep an eye out for eachother, as i have come to understand, i can't make out the colors that great, and am in no way a cbbq expert

Oh my gosh! In the poll they say female, but in the replies male. S/he sometimes kinda ''sings''. Like pee pee peeww. Only the males sing or do the females sing too?

And his/her white mark under the chin is a bit different os the male's bib. The male's bib has a dark area, splitting the bib in two parts, and the females mark is full white. Not a heavy white, it's a light white.

If he is crowing then there is no doubt he is a male. I don't raise buttons or anything, but I had a single male button for 4 years whose cage was in my bedroom (he was killed the female I got for him. He is still alive, I just gave him to a breeder that introduced him to an established flock where he is doing well.) and he crowed almost every single night at 10PM
roll.png

But a frind of mine, who's a Button Quail breeder said females crow too. What makes me confuse is the ''bib''. Because the bib uses to apear the the chick is bout 20 days(I saw a 20 days old chick, it was silver and he already had a bib). That's what makes me confuse. It is or not a bib?

I'm pretty sure females don't crow, but I've been wrong before. It really does look like a bib... the other one is 100% male, so maybe it is a female, since they seem to be getting along in that photo

The other I'm sure it's a male too. I'm starting to think that they're a couple. When I sepair them, the sart ''peeping'', calling the other one. And they always sleep side by side, just like this photograph!

Back
Top Bottom