Is this Sinusitis ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darbella, Dec 30, 2010.

1. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Symptoms:
    weazing, sneezing and progresses into chest congestion. Started with several birds then the others started to exhibit symptoms a few weeks later. The original birds were not of the same breed and aquired at different times, and i do quarantine for 30 days before putting any new birds in with my existing ones.

eyes get a clear, watery, bubbly discharge
    there is NO ODOR at all to the discharge or the birds and coop and they still have their appetites.

I have been treating with water soluble antibiotics and VetRx around the eyes, combs, wattles.
    Yesterday started with Tylan 50 two drops directly into mouth.

Questions:
    should I get the water soluble Tylan (I had the other on hand so that is what I am using now) and does the powder work faster than the liquid?
    If this is sinusitis, and I get them well, can I bring in any other birds in the spring??

Breeds in question:
    10 MGB's, 3 cochins, 3 oegb, 2 ee crosses, all these birds are in a seperate coop and pen. I alsohave 6 free ranging mixed breeds that have not exhibited any sign of anything...hope I just didn't junx them. I am so worried about this because I love all these birds and they are my babies. I cannot even eat their eggs! It would kill me to have to cull them if this is something bad and non treatable.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Tylan water soluble is probably the best if you can't give them the injections of Tylan.
    Most times, they recover from these types of things with treatment and go on to do fine.
    As far as can you bring birds in in the spring-boy that's tough to say. Without knowing what you are dealing with, I can't answer that question.
    Good luck and hope they all get well.

3. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thanks! I am able to do the injections, it is just I had a bad experience in the pas with injecting a hen. I did in the muscle of her thigh, alternating legs each time for 3 days, and she then became lame from the shots. I had read that the tylan is sometimes attributed to doing that. I will pick up some of the water soluble one today. Thanx again. PS, can I give the tylan injectable SQ at the back of the neck??

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It could be an MG infection - type of respitory infection that has a carrier state, so be very very careful handling your healthy birds after handling sick ones. Change your clothes, shoes, etc... bleach any shoes before leaving property. Tylan 50 or 200 will help in most cases.

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Thanks! I am able to do the injections, it is just I had a bad experience in the pas with injecting a hen. I did in the muscle of her thigh, alternating legs each time for 3 days, and she then became lame from the shots. I had read that the tylan is sometimes attributed to doing that. I will pick up some of the water soluble one today. Thanx again. PS, can I give the tylan injectable SQ at the back of the neck??

Fall off on either side of the keel bone, aspirate the needle back to make sure you haven't hit a vein(not likely in that area) and inject into the thickest part of the breast. No, don't give the injection in the back of the neck-not enough meat there. Alternate sides with the injection to prevent soreness.
    Just FYI-lay the bird down on it's side and hold it's legs when you are giving the shot-you'll be surprised how docile they are when on their sides.

6. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire

Fall off on either side of the keel bone, aspirate the needle back to make sure you haven't hit a vein(not likely in that area) and inject into the thickest part of the breast. No, don't give the injection in the back of the neck-not enough meat there. Alternate sides with the injection to prevent soreness.
    Just FYI-lay the bird down on it's side and hold it's legs when you are giving the shot-you'll be surprised how docile they are when on their sides.

Ok I will try this. Thanks, how much should I inject? I have insuline syringes and they are small bantams. The largest being a cochin banty roo, the smallest are my modern games, and some serama pullets.

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Dosing is .2 ml every 48 hours(ml and cc are the same on an insulin syringe).

8. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:How many days should I do this?

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Do it one day-wait 48 hours and do it again-that should take care of it.

10. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I gave them all an injection of the Tylan50 yesterday and then rubbed all combs, wattles and around eyes with the VetRx. Still giving the water soluble meds in the waterer. This morning I went out and was so happy to not hear all the gurgling breathing and sneezing. There were a couple of small snorting sounts, but no open mouth breathing and gurgling and everyone just seemed so full of energy. Their appetite was fabulous, but then again, it has not seem to be affected by this. Problem is one of my free range hens somehow got into that coop/pen last night and when I was closing the access door to the coop, saw her so now I am assuming I need to leave her in with them and medicate her because she may be contaminated and i dont want her bringing anything to the free rangers...correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by