Is this some type of illness

cardi0

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2023
Hi,
I finally got chicks! Hooray!
This one is late hatcher and had shell stuck to him.
Will he recover, it has been almost two days and he still has not fluffed up.
What should I do for him?
I'd like to pull him out but fear he might have something contagious.
Pleas advise.
DSC_2010.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2010.JPG
    DSC_2010.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_2011.JPG
    DSC_2011.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_2012.JPG
    DSC_2012.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It's not likely to have something contagious right out of the incubator, so you should be able to put it in with the rest.

You can also gently break the cord between the chick and the egg, making sure not to pull on the chick.

This one may fail to thrive, but it may also catch up quickly to its hatch mates.

Looks like he got shellacked. He’s dry, just gunky. That can actually be pretty hard on them. You can try a warm water sponge bath to soften and remove some of the gunk; put him back in the incubator until he’s dry. Putting him with the others helps a bit if he isn’t too weakened by it. Just the friction seems to help wear it off.
I've had this happen to several. Most eventually worked through it. A couple didn’t; seemed like the extra stress and exertion just drug them down. Good luck.

He did not make it, poor guy. Too bad. He was having movement troubles because of it and eventually succumbed.
I tried warm water spray a dozen times on him.
If it ever happens again I'll use the sponge too.
Thanks for the input.

He did not make it, poor guy. Too bad. He was having movement troubles because of it and eventually succumbed.
I tried warm water spray a dozen times on him.
If it ever happens again I'll use the sponge too.
Thanks for the input.
Sorry to hear. Good luck with the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom