Is this some weird first guinea egg, or something different?? (pics)

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by sred98, Jun 9, 2010.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ok...I have one grown female guinea sitting on a nest. My neighbor has 3 young females that were born this past February. I found what is definitely a guinea egg, and a smaller speckled egg. This smaller egg isn't shaped like a guinea egg, it isn't pointy at all. Could it be like a pullet egg except from a guinea? It is also very speckled and a different color.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It is much smaller than the normal size guinea egg on the left:

[​IMG]

Here is a better view of the speckling and size (diameter) difference:

[​IMG]

Here you can get an idea of size next to a quarter:

[​IMG]

You can see that it isn't anything like a guinea egg, either in shape or color. I live in the woods, so it could be some type of wild game bird. It seems too big and not speckled enough for quail.

Thanks!

Shelly

2. nursesammy

nursesammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Alta Vista , KS
    Im not much help. Im really not sure what to tell you. but you should try and hatch it out. If its fertilized that is. Then find out what it is. That would be exciting!

3. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Thanks for the reply! I think I will! The only thing that I found that was similar was grouse, but I don't even know if we have them here, and why would it be in a guinea nest?? LOL! I guess it will be trial and error...I'm going to check later and see if there's another one laid today.

Thanks so much!

Shelly

4. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

It would be HILARIOUS if a reptile poped out of that thing lol.... It's probably just a small egg. Should be fun to hatch tho.

5. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Grouse eggs aren't much bigger then quail, so it's not that, it looks to me like a turkey egg

6. RebekahNicole

RebekahNicole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Looks kinda like a Welsummer egg to me.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    It looks very much like the eggs we've gotten from our 2 new guineas layers this year. They are much smaller than the eggs we are getting from the girls that are a year older. They all look different in color as well. Even from the same bird.

This is 1 of our eggs from the new layers
    [​IMG]

8. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:It does look similar. Yours still has more of a point like a normal guinea egg, though. I guess I will hatch it and see what comes out! I thought it resembled a Wellsummer egg, but mine disappeared last year, and no one around has any. I have some young BC Marans, but I think they are too young to lay. My other POL pullets are BSL's, EE's, cochins, Silver laced Wyandotte, a Turken, and a mystery bantam. I don't think any of them would lay it.

Thanks so much for the pic! Maybe it is, we'll just have to see! [​IMG]

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by