Is this some weird first guinea egg, or something different?? (pics)

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
Ok...I have one grown female guinea sitting on a nest. My neighbor has 3 young females that were born this past February. I found what is definitely a guinea egg, and a smaller speckled egg. This smaller egg isn't shaped like a guinea egg, it isn't pointy at all. Could it be like a pullet egg except from a guinea? It is also very speckled and a different color.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It is much smaller than the normal size guinea egg on the left:

0609101426-01.jpg

Here is a better view of the speckling and size (diameter) difference:

0609101426-00.jpg

Here you can get an idea of size next to a quarter:

0609101439-00.jpg

You can see that it isn't anything like a guinea egg, either in shape or color. I live in the woods, so it could be some type of wild game bird. It seems too big and not speckled enough for quail.

Thanks!

Shelly

Im not much help. Im really not sure what to tell you. but you should try and hatch it out. If its fertilized that is. Then find out what it is. That would be exciting!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I think I will! The only thing that I found that was similar was grouse, but I don't even know if we have them here, and why would it be in a guinea nest?? LOL! I guess it will be trial and error...I'm going to check later and see if there's another one laid today.

Thanks so much!

Shelly

It looks very much like the eggs we've gotten from our 2 new guineas layers this year. They are much smaller than the eggs we are getting from the girls that are a year older. They all look different in color as well. Even from the same bird.

This is 1 of our eggs from the new layers
DSC00240-1.jpg

Quote:
It does look similar. Yours still has more of a point like a normal guinea egg, though. I guess I will hatch it and see what comes out! I thought it resembled a Wellsummer egg, but mine disappeared last year, and no one around has any. I have some young BC Marans, but I think they are too young to lay. My other POL pullets are BSL's, EE's, cochins, Silver laced Wyandotte, a Turken, and a mystery bantam. I don't think any of them would lay it.

Thanks so much for the pic! Maybe it is, we'll just have to see!
big_smile.png

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom