Is this strange behavior?

michelle89

Songster
12 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Two nights ago after I put the ducks to bed I went up to the pen to say "goodnight"
lol.png
and I noticed a perfectly round indent in the bedding and to my surprise there were two eggs! I had looked earlier in the day and I didn't find anything. Is it possible for a duck to lay two eggs in one sitting? Or did my Swedish lay one and then the Pekin laid one? The eggs were huge, and I thought Swedish ducks laid colored eggs, these were white. I haven't got another egg, unless they are hiding them in the bedding and I'm missing them! ??

Although it is vaguely possible for a duck to lay a double, it is far far more likely that, as behaviour indicates, a duck will have to lay an eggs, and will do so - then another will need to lay, will see the egg, and will lay there. It was probably both ducks.

Ducks are good at hiding and like to bury their eggs in their bedding. It is possible she had one buried and it got revealed when she laid the second. I've had this happen myself.

My Black Swedish hen lays a large white egg. She skipped a day of laying once, and double laid the next night. So yeah, a double lay is possible. I was seriously hoping one of the Saxony girls had started laying... but it was a fluke from Quackers.

Both eggs were the same size.. you'd think one would be soft like when a chicken gets a glitch in the egg tract.

Sometimes you have to check every inch of the place to find an egg... they don't always put it where you want it. Thankfully Quackers doesn't bury hers, but she changes spots almost every night.

She did it again!! One was up on top of the bedding and the other was buried alot deeper! The look on her face when I found them was funny, she looked at me like "excuse me lady, but those are my eggs!"
lol.png

Yep, they will hide eggs in very strange places...and bury them like they had tools and hands. They are VERY creative when it comes to their building/nesting.

We have a few pekins running loose at our pond and they will drop eggs where ever the hen happens to be standing. We find loose eggs in the grass, on the sidewalks, laying in flower beds....and whats odd is that the pekin hens will nest and lay a full clutch of maybe 15 and sit on it for a couple weeks, then for some reason they abandon the nest and walk around dropping eggs all over the property. They've yet to hatch anything even though they have laid 80 eggs between 2 hens in the last few months.

So, the behavior is strange, but not for a duck !

Back
Top Bottom