Is this style of slaughter humane?

suzpyoung

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Temperance, MI
I'm taking three roosters, for the first time, to a processor nearby. I asked how they "do it" and she said they use a barrel and slit their throats??? Can someone tell me what this process entails? Even tho these roosters are particularly evil, I'm not going to be able to handle it if they are conscious when the throat is slit.

pretty much that's how it's done.
Some people whack them over the head first and others cut off the head with shears . . . bleeding out seems pretty peaceful in comparison - at least to me.

I believe all "food animals" are concious when slaughtered. This keeps them edible. Bleeding out is one of the most humane ways to kill a food animal; espesially when done by someone with experiance.

I think that in all likelihood they would be awake when their throats were slit. Although you'd have to ask the person processing them to be sure. I believe what is meant is that they'll use a barrel to catch the blood. For somebody who slaughters animals regularly (somewhat used to dispatching them), it is far too costly and labor intensive to render them unconscious first. Plus there would be the possibility of contaminating the animals with whatever was used to render them unconscious. Slitting an animals throat is probably one of the more humane ways to dispatch them if it is done properly. First a sharp instrument must be used, else you couldn't make a clean cut. You probably know from experience that a cut from a sharp tool is probably less painful then one from a dull or serrated tool. Cutting the throat (jugular), while not necessarily immediate, is very quick. Certainly not any longer the suffocation (gassing). There is also a practicality with exsanguination, you have to let the animals bleed out before you can use them. Combining the killing and bleed out process is wise in that respect. There is a very good thread regarding this subject...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3318433

I especially agree with katamount's view at the top of page #29.

Sounds like what I do, but I use a cone.
0502001419.jpg

A single slice along the jaw line on the side of the head, and they go to sleep rather peacefully.

I now have two juvenile ( three and a half months) Barred Rock roosters and am contemplating slaughtering them before their voices mature into real crowing. They are starting to spar and hen peck a few of their favorite girls. Where is this processor that you take your birds to? I live on the Michigan/ Ohio border in Toledo. I am not sure if I am ready to slaughter them myself yet.

Imagine somebody slitting YOUR throat...would you feel any pain? I would cut their head off...instant and no question as to the moment of death.

I saw a goose being bled...by having its throat slit..it struggled for quite some time and to me that was not acceptable...just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom