Is this the beginning of an egg?

jayceesue

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
North Central Mississippi
I have had three red sex link hens for 12 weeks and not a single egg. Today I noticed this in one of the nesting boxes. It looks like the white part of an egg but I not sure. Can someone help me identify if maybe I’m getting close to having egg layers instead of pets?
Please forgive the straw and chicken poop in the photos
1FBC61FC-5A88-4D90-84C7-36B951842A0E.jpeg
A4A9E3EF-CEE2-4661-947F-6A89C09F0EFC.jpeg

No problem. I would guess she is warming up her egg oven! Are they getting enough calcium? What is their diet? If they are on starter now would be a good time to start transitioning to either an egg laying ration or an all flock with oyster shell for calcium.

Sounds good. Maybe even a little overkill lol. Too much calcium can be a bad thing, especially before they are laying. Are they 12 weeks old or have you just had them for 12 weeks?

I have had them for 12 weeks. I’m not sure how old they are to be honest. My profile picture is the three I have. The calcium and oyster shell sits in a little bowl in the coop area if they want it, but I don’t fill the bowl every day Or even every other day

I asked the man I bought them from if they were a year and a half old and he said yes. I think I led him down that path. I had a friend yell me she thought they looked older. I just don’t know.

Back
Top Bottom