Is this the chick's umbilical cord? Please help!

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
Hi, everyone. This chick hatched without absorbing it's yolk sac yesterday. His intestines got pulled out too, but I gently pushed them back in with a q-tip. He was fine, but then this yellow string popped out with blood on the end. What is it? Are his intestines coming out again? The hole had closed up, but I guess it reopened when I tried to soak his tummy in warm water to clean him. What do I do? Someone please help! He's still chirping and is quite active.
EDIT: I noticed that the other two chicks have blood on their beaks. Could they have pecked it open?
20230608_153154.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. This chick hatched without absorbing it's yolk sac yesterday. His intestines got pulled out too, but I gently pushed them back in with a q-tip. He was fine, but then this yellow string popped out with blood on the end. What is it? Are his intestines coming out again? The hole had closed up, but I guess it reopened when I tried to soak his tummy in warm water to clean him. What do I do? Someone please help! He's still chirping and is quite active.
EDIT: I noticed that the other two chicks have blood on their beaks. Could they have pecked it open?
View attachment 3534320
My husband said if you have a sick chick that it should be separated from the other ones because the healthy ones will peck at it. We could not offer any more information.

Back
Top Bottom