is this the recessive lavender gene over extended black? lavender australorp?

Pinoy Angelfish

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Philippines
When he was a chick, the seller said he came from a heritage breeds egg layer farm located at... I know the farm and from their fb posts they have Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. They did/do not have any posts of lavenders. Just acquired him last night and took this photo this morning. When i saw the small add pic i thought he was blue until i clicked on the photo to enlarge it and then my thought turned from blue to lavender. The seller was likely unfamiliar with the lavender color because when i replied to his add i asked if the blue (abuhin in my native language, Filipino) is still available he said yes. It's my first time to see this type of color phenotype in person. Is he lavender? Praying he is; could he be a lavender Extended Black Australorp?
IMG20211021073540.jpg

Last edited:
When he was a chick, the seller said he came from a heritage breeds egg layer farm located at... I know the farm and from their fb posts they have Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. They did/do not have any posts of lavenders. Just acquired him last night and took this photo this morning. When i saw the small add pic i thought he was blue until i clicked on the photo to enlarge it and then my thought turned from blue to lavender. The seller was likely unfamiliar with the lavender color because when i replied to his add i asked if the blue (abuhin in my native language, Filipino) is still available he said yes. It's my first time to see this type of color phenotype in person. Is he lavender? Praying he is; could he be a lavender Extended Black Australorp?
View attachment 2873396
Yes, it's the lavender gene - he has feather shredder, metallic gloss in the hackle, saddle, and wing bows, and transverse barring in his hackle feathers. All things that are associated with the lavender gene. Depending on whether you subscribe to the US or European breed standard and terminology, Self Blue or Lavender are interchangeable, so your seller may have just known what you were asking for.
You can't tell extended black at this point, it's normally identifiable in chick down. In my breed there are people who breed black on both E and ER for different purposes, if that's the same here, you'd have to do some test mating to try to figure it out.

Yes, it's the lavender gene - he has feather shredder, metallic gloss in the hackle, saddle, and wing bows, and transverse barring in his hackle feathers. All things that are associated with the lavender gene. Depending on whether you subscribe to the US or European breed standard and terminology, Self Blue or Lavender are interchangeable, so your seller may have just known what you were asking for.
You can't tell extended black at this point, it's normally identifiable in chick down. In my breed there are people who breed black on both E and ER for different purposes, if that's the same here, you'd have to do some test mating to try to figure it out.
Wow, thanks for the detailed description; it will serve as a guide! Actually the seller is very likely unfamiliar with the lavender color; he also had a male black australorp in his add pic and he did not want to sell that black roo. He only had 3 heritage chickens the rest of his flock are gamefowls... i just happened to find his add by chance and got lucky/blessed to have acquired this lavender rooster. Self blue is a very rare color here in my country, difficult and expensive to acquire. Just recently watched some youtube videos on how to collect semen and artificially inseminate, maybe hopefully create my own standard size and bantam lavender mixes Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom