Is this the right feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by slickmike, Apr 4, 2011.

1. slickmike

slickmike New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    The first day I bought two Golden wing duck chickens, I didn't have any feed so I just feed them cracked corn.
    They love that stuff badly, but when I put some Purnia layenya in there with them it seems like
    there waiting for the corn. So whats the deal with crack corn should I use it as a treat?
    Or are they going to starve them selfs not eating the Prrina waiting on me to throw the
    corn to them? So just keep feeding the purina everyday?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. EssexGirl

EssexGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hayward
    Hi there,
    Everything I've read on here says to feed cracked corn as a treat - just throw a handful down for the chickens to scratch up. I'm sure they won't starve themselves if you leave the Purina out and withhold the corn - they will usually eat whatever's available, once they figure out that's all there is. My hens have eaten everything that was growing in their run and are now going through the layer feed like crazy! Good luck. [​IMG]

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Don't give them the corn until they start eating the layer feed then only use the corn as a treat its like candy for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by