is this the start of bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, Sep 2, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a cockeral that is almost 5 months old. He was limping and sits often. I looked today and he had a scab on the bottom of his foot. I pulled it back to see if he had a foreign object in it...
    Is this bumblefoot or a cut that was just uncomfortable?
    Pic after I pulled off scab
    [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    looks like he might have spliced it on something sharp? is it concave or just on the surface?

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It really isn't swollen, wound seems flat. I put blukote on it and he was out with his girls. I will monitor it for now I guess...

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    It is really tiny but looks good-normal-and very clean [​IMG] I saw the other thread of the whole rooster-very handsome boy [​IMG] I mean your son hahaha
    I mean both but the roo is very sweet looking...so calm!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Funny but I really have never had anything but mites(just this year) before the mareks. This is my fourth summer with chickens and have never ever had bumblefoot [​IMG] . Just want to make sure my babies are ok...

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I had a rooster last year that had a gimp for a while-I picked him up 3-4x a week checking his feet. I kept them in a huge run of grass and straw-raked out all rocks before laying new bedding down-His name was "gimpy" nothing ever appeared even remotely close to bumblefoot. After about 2 months his gimp went away and he walked perfectly-no bumblefoot at all-I used him for breeding all Fall and Winter and part of this Spring. When it came time to give my girls a break I decided to cull him as I didnt need him anymore and no one wanted a free roo ( he was REALLY rough on his 12 girls-did his job well but he was just to rough for my taste) I had to put saddles on all of the girls all Winter:( Anyhoo when I processed him-low and behold he had bumblefoot-really big too. So I took that opportunity to operate-to see what it all looked like [​IMG] I couldn't imagine the healing time it would have taken to fix that foot-it was never swollen looking-no redness-no gimp -nothing! I was shocked when I saw it. Now, I check the birds all the time-just in case. I would say just keep an eye on it once a week-you might have caught it right at its early stages! It doesnt look like bumblefoot but you never know [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by