Is this too Big?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 18, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I'm going to go to a tractor supply store that is approx 2 hours away.
    I have a 66 gallon tank (so it's not that big) : Pic:

[​IMG]

I have tried two lamps which makes it hard for me to sleep at night. Seems like the main light is on. I was thinking of getting this:

[​IMG]
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg;-brooder-lamp#BVRRWidgetID

Do you think it is too big for the brooder box i have now?

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    No, that seems fine for your brooder. It can't really be "too big," but it can be too hot. What watt of bulb at you planning on getting and how old are your chicks? I would recommend, maybe, a 65 watt for that size of tub. You can also get those lamps at Lowes, PetSmart, the co-op, etc.

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I don't think it is, but I'm not positive though. I have one of those model brooder lamps and it has never given me a problem, just make sure you clamp it somewhere secure. You might want to try a red bulb as well. That might help your sleeping problem.

4. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    no, that should be fine. Thats what I am using You will jsut need to adjust how close / far from the chicks it is to get the temp correct.

5. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    before you drive 2 hrs, have you checked any local hardware stores?? or I have even seen similar types at auto parts stores used as clip on hanging work lights

6. kidsbme3

kidsbme3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    This is the same setup we used, the hardest thing for us was keeping them warm AND covered. The little things start jumping and flying before you know it. We came home to chics and their poo all over the kitchen floor one day and knew it was time to figure out a better system. GL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by