1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this too cold for my chicks? will they be ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Ok So my broody is going to be a mother soon and we've been having cold weather, ranges from 45f - 50f at night & ranges from 50f - 65f in the morning and in the afternoon. Is that too cold? will the hen keep them warm? ANY Advice is appreciated =]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mama will keep them warm, she incubated the eggs didn't she? [​IMG] When they get chilled they will run under mama and get all warmed up in her fluff and then zoom out again to play!

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Thanks!!! that really helps! [​IMG] the chicks just started to hatch!

4. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Oh, how exciting!!! I hope we have chicks in the spring running around with mamma!!!
    Good luck!

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I have another question.... I candled some eggs to make sure they were alive and I saw a shadow in the air sac? im pretty sure it was the chicks beak. If its berly going to rip the air sac how long will it take him/her to hatch?

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If it's pipped into the air sac- should be within a day [​IMG] Don't mess with them too much- the humidity under mom helps them get out easier.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

let her finish her job, she know the best to do with the eggs (well, some hen also bad mom). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by