Is this too much ventilation?

Come summertime I will add 2 lower base ventilation for cross breeze.
Also can use livestock rated fans (they are built to handle livestock dust) in the wall/windows. Or roof vents so the hot air can rise and easily escape. There are turbine type vents for the roof, where .the hot air causes the turbine to spin to draw out hot air. There are motorized ones as well -they constantly draw up and out the hot air.

I am also going to incorporate a heat lamp on the very cold nights(0F or below) to help.
This isn't necessary and is a major fire hazard.
This is the morning after a night at -20F.
2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

The birds were fine.
Note all the high ventilation and the open pop door. There is a second pop door near the front of the coop and both stay open year round. I've never baffled the soffit openings. If they were lower, I might have to. I also have large roof overhangs.

Thank you. My flock consists of 11 australorps and 4 barred rocks and the ability of these breeds to handle cold weather was the deciding factor for me. I am also going to incorporate a heat lamp on the very cold nights(0F or below) to help.
When we had hens some 20 years ago, all of the windows could be closed off in extreme weather. I always left one open several inches for ventilation, even when the heat lamp was in use. We are also working on a henhouse right now. Being in Texas, extremely cold weather is rare - but last year was awful - without water or electricity for a week! This year, we’re prepared, and will do the same for our girls.

Hi
We live in the northern area of the Michigan‘s lower peninsula aka 44th parallel. When do healthy chickens start to die due to cold air when dry and no wind? - 24 degrees. It’s not the often regurgitated (-19). I say -24 because -23 is the coldest it has been since I’ve lived here over the past 6 years and we’ve never lost a bird to cold air - ever.

Think about your question. It’s like asking, can a chicken get too much fresh air outside? No, you can’t have too much ventilation. It just needs to be provided in the correct manner. I believe you are wondering about your coops ventilation application. Please consider:

1. Prevent moisture / birds getting wet
2. Block all wind, especially in the winter
3. Ensure predators and rodents can’t enter your sources of ventilation
4. Ensure your chickens can’t escape either 🙄
5. Ideally you want to have a way for dust to escape or settle out of the coop too. Birds develop permanent respiratory health issues from poorly ventilated coops that they pass on to other birds.

so in summary, ventilation is great, never too much, just do it correctly, thus effectively. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom