Is this too wrong?

davecash

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
kaintucky
Would it be wrong if I kept my bantams put up in their coop all of the time and let my polish out every once in a while? I just dont want the Banties to fly away.

As long as you have an adequate run it should be fine. The banties shouldn't fly away any more so than the adults. If you are so worried, I'd clip one wing. I'd be more worried about the polish getting predated in the day hours because they can't see.

I just dont want them flying out of the yard i have fenced in specifically for them./ I dont think the polish will fly out..

Dave, I'm wondering if you clip their wings , and only let a few out at a time, would the ones let out hang around the ones that are inside?

Well in the new cdoop i have 2 banties and 2 polish.. I donno how to clip their wings, though.. I might have my neighbor Ed do it. is clipping bantie wings the same way as cutting normal size chicken wings?

Yep, clipping wings on banties is the same as standards. Cut down the primary feathers on one wing. If you search there is a how to on how to do it with pics.

Honestly I don't think the banties will fly over the fence... most my birds, banties or standards, are too darn lazy to even go over a 3 foot fence... they just walk all they way around the edge to get to the other side.
roll.png

As for the hanging around the caged ones. Chances are the caged ones will pace to be let out while the out ones will just leave.

Clip their wings. I gives you peace of mind and gets the flying notion out of their heads.

I also clip both wings. You hear alot about clipping one wing to unbalance them, but it is very surprising to see one done that way - when it flies up to the fence top and perches on one of the posts!

You feel pretty helpless standing there while it looks at you, deciding what to do next. It seems no one told the chicken that it wasn't able to do that anymore or that it shouldnt be flying around in the first place. I started doing both wings after that happened. Assume nothing.

CAVEAT: Clip their wings only if your chicken yard is predator proof. Flying is a survival tool for chickens. If you deprive them of it, make sure nothing can get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cover my chicken runs with cheap deer netting. It keeps the preditory birds out and the chickens in. I've had many chickens try to fly over the fence but are stopped by the netting.

Dave I have 2 separate flocks of my own.........one is mine the other is a caretaking job for Haleylunas small chickens......I keep hers in the run all day....they coop up inside the henhouse when the others come in from free ranging..... they dont seem unhappy at all........although I get stared at by some
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom