Is this true?....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bocktobery 10, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Songster

Oct 8, 2010
    I was looking online for ways to sex baby chicks and found this chart someone drew: see attached file

I wish I could give proper credit to the person or persons who drew it, but have not found any names. But I’m posting it here to ask all of you, is this basically true? Or is it only true with a certain breed? Do male baby chicks not have any tail feathers by age 2 weeks? Or is this only in general?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attached Files:

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You are correct in guessing that it only works for certain breeds.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Nope. Sexing by feathering rate is like sexing by down color. It works only if the parents had the correct background to generate a sex-linked trait. And, like color sexable chicks, it's a single generation trick.

4. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Amberlinks are the one example that I know of that is feather growth sexed.

5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Feathering speed is a double-factor trait, which means that if a chicken carries two copies, it's more powerful than one copy. A male bird can carry two feather-speed genes, but a female can only carry one. Because of this, in a slow-feathering breed, a male feathers out more slowly than the female does. It's especially easy to tell with Barred Rocks. At two weeks, no tail = male.

Bocktobery 10 and HuffleClaw like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: