Is this true?

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Today I was reading this homesteading boik and I can across a meat bird section.It said that you shouldn’t house laying hens and Roos with them because they will figure out you killed the meat birds and the roos will get aggressive and the hens will hate you. Is This true? I have never heard this before.

Today I was reading this homesteading boik and I can across a meat bird section.It said that you shouldn’t house laying hens and Roos with them because they will figure out you killed the meat birds and the roos will get aggressive and the hens will hate you. Is This true? I have never heard this before.
no lol.

Definitely not true. We process right next to one of my chicken pastures because it's the most level and convenient place and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. They actually love butchering day if we throw them a few scraps as we work.

They will get upset if there is a bunch of chasing, squawking and flapping though, so it's best to remove the ones you want to process off the roost after dark the night before and keep them in crates until it's time.

I have butchered about 30 of them and nothing has ever happened to my hens or rooster. One time I had 3 in one of my coops because there was something wrong with our meat bird pen and we needed to fix it without them in there. Everything was fine.

I had thought about chickens observing butchering, and whether they'd put two and two together, so we process in a separate area. As far as housing them together long term I just wouldn't because of the poop factor for Cornish crosses, a heritage meat bird though wouldn't be a problem to me.

Back
Top Bottom