Is This True?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deb1, Jul 11, 2008.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I am reading John Salatin's book, You Can Farm. ALthough I am enjoying the book, the author brought up something that just sounds too gross to be true.

According to him the FDA has said that it is all right to feed chicken manure to cows. If this is true no wonder people suffer from ecoli outbreaks.[​IMG] All I can say is yuck.

I realize that factory farms were not good places for animals and is part of the reason why I want to raise my own chickens. But feeding cows chicken manure? That sounds insane.

PLease someone tell me that Salatin is mistaken.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Sounds gross but my puppy thinks that chicken poo is tasty. Got to watch her.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  4. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes. This is true as weird as it sounds it is suppose to be good for cattle. I can tell you that we don't feed it to our cows but if the cows break into the chicken area they go straight for the manure pile. YUK.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Now I'm going to have to eat only beef that I know hasn't eaten chicken manure... YUK!

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I've heard it suggested that one of the reasons Mad Cow is so hard to contain is that feed producers use parts of slaughtered cows plus their own urine and manure in making the feed for cows.

Now THAT is insane.

H.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes it is VERY true. They not only feed chicken manure but they can feed the wood shavings that the chickens planted their manure in. They are also allowed to feed waste chewing gum products - little foil wrappers and papper included. You can find alot of gov't info online about feed lots and what is allowed to be fed to cows, pigs etc.

Let me go find you a link from the archives.

For now here ios one from Mother Earth news.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Beef-You-Eat.aspx

Here is a link to another discussion on the forum a while back

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30741

8. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    You should read Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. You won't believe what we do to our animals in the industrialized food system!

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Much of Pollan's research was done through Joel Salatin. It is a very good book, The Omnivore's Dilemma. Personally, I don't make it far reading Salatin's works. Some of his opinions are a little weird and I can't handle the constant biblical references.

10. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I agree, Salatin is a bit quirky, and I could do w/o the references as well. But, I really respect what he's doing and how he's helped other farmers realize there is another way of farming. Where Salatin helps the farmers, Pollan helps us "consumers" (hate that word).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by