Is this Typical Roo behavior?

Mandyweaver

Chirping
Aug 12, 2018
cumming ga
I have a wild Game roo who saw my 2 hens. He moved in permanently in the coop with them after only 3 days. The roo has been living wild in the neighborhood, sleeping in trees and foraging for at least 7 years by himself. I thought he was the most beautiful and scariest creature ever. My hens taught him, by hand feeding) to trust us. I decided to incubate the fertile eggs and got 2 hennies. The roo and hens have been picking on them since day 1. I became momma i guess. Now at around 2 1/2months the roo, instead of attacking, he started dropping food and calling them. They would bravely go and get the food. Sometimes he was sweet and other times he would be luring them to peck them. Last week (now 3 months old) he was charging them and stopped just short of tagging one and he stuck down his wing and did his dance. Should i worry about him trying to mate them or do most roos just dance for his chicks until they start squatting. Im scared he will hurt them badly by trying to mate.
20180613_165000.jpg
Nugget.jpg
20180815_194154.jpg
20180717_204822 (1).jpg

A grown mature rooster shouldn't mate young pullets until they sexually mature. Some roosters will feed younger birds, and may even dance but they shouldn't mate unless a female has a bright red prominent comb which is a visual cue that the female is mature and receptive.

As long as he's not overly aggressive I wouldn't worry, especially if they can get away from him.

Back
Top Bottom