Is this unabsorbed yolk?

PrettyCoolChicks

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
British Columbia, Canada
Context:
This chick pipped on the wrong end yesterday evening. I didn't expect it to zip until tomorrow-ish.
It zipped all by itself about 15 min ago. There was a tiny bit of blood when it zipped, which reading the forums also sounded like it might be a bit early.
When it got out it dragged itself around a little and looked like it had a big lump between its legs, dragging on the hatching matt.

Is that unabsorbed yolk, or just what a chick's fluffy butt is supposed to look like? First time hatching one so have no comparison point... pics I found on here didn't look quite the same...
IMG_4162.jpg

It is switching between pretty active and chirping, and sitting down nodding off, so I think it'll be fine.
I put it in a little (aluminium) cupcake cup back in the incubator for now to keep it from moving around too much just in case it is unabsorbed yolk until someone can give me some advice here on next steps. The brooder is warm and ready as well.

Last edited:
@PrettyCoolChicks I hope your chick is doing better, and I'm sorry your post was overlooked last night and most of the day. We're usually better than that. How is it doing now? Can you post an updated photo?
I've never seen an unabsorbed yolk look like that, but it could be.

I'm worried that it may be mushy chick disease, what with the apparently fluid-filled 'blister' or abdomen in your pic.
@Eggcessive @EggSighted4Life @Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies!
S/He's in the brooder indeed since this morning after spending the night in the little cup in the incubator (escaped the cup quickly, but chose to go back inside for the night 🤷‍♂️).

S/he comes running out from under the brooding plate any time I put my hand in the brooder, tries to climb on it, has started eating and drinking a tiny bit any time I tapped on the "dish" (and went for a snack/drink a couple times without me since). S/he seems to strongly prefer dry food and water over wet food (same thing but soaked in a bit of water).

I've checked its bottom this evening: couldn't see anything odd, but honestly I couldn't see much at all with all the fluffy fuzz covering everything now. I didn't think to take a photo - I'll do that and post it tomorrow.

Reading up on https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.64686/ - if that's it, I guess there's not much I can do, is there?
There wasn't any smell or blue colouring but I agree it looked a bit like a blister now that you mention it. I'll keep an eye on energy levels/appetite, and see if s/he comes out from under the brooder plate without me interfering in the morning.

Chick was eating when I woke up this morning and has been very active since, trying to climb on top of the brooder plate at the moment.
Updated pic:
fluffy_butt.jpg

Couldn't get all the fluff out of the way but looks to me like there's still a "bald" area, but much smaller now, I most likely wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know where to look. Any thoughts?

Chick was eating when I woke up this morning and has been very active since, trying to climb on top of the brooder plate at the moment.
Updated pic:
View attachment 3440139
Couldn't get all the fluff out of the way but looks to me like there's still a "bald" area, but much smaller now, I most likely wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know where to look. Any thoughts?
It’s looking great. It seems to have healed, and if it’s eating and active, then things seem to be heading for the better!

Thanks for your comments! They reassured me for sure.Been checking on its feeding and poopies: all normal, activity levels also quite high.
Seems like chickie has been doing great last week. It's impressive how quickly those little wings develop! This was from Friday evening:

day4.JPG

I've dropped it off yesterday at its new home, where it will grow up with a real momma hen rather than be by its lonesome with me.
I miss his/her little chirps waking me up in the morning now, but I've learnt a lot and I can't wait to hatch the next batch and start my own flock in a few month, once my coop is built.

Back
Top Bottom