Is this what a healthy chicken vent looks like?

chickie22

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
New York
Hi there everyone.

I am still learning. Does this look like a healthy chicken vent? The coloring in the photos isn't completely right compared to real life, but hopefully they are good enough. My chicken's vent is mostly light pink with some redder areas. Is this irritation? (Mites???) Or is it normal for some redder areas?

0701191627.jpg

0701191627a.jpg

IMG_20190626_191141.jpg

All of my other chickens were lost in a predator attack so I don't have any other chickens to compare to. Thanks for your help!

Skin looks a rather red.
What does her poop look like?
If loose and watery, that could be the cause of the redness.
Those are excellent pics.

How old is bird?
Is she laying?

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Her poop is black and white piles, not loose or watery.

She is approximately 2. Laying an egg about every other day.

I did look over her during the day time to look for lice and mites. I did not see anything.
That being said, she doesn't love being handled and I am not super experienced, so I may have missed signs. I will try going out at night as you have suggested.

Last week I lightly dusted her and the coop with poultry dust after changing all of the pine shavings.

I wouldn't worry about the redness much, as long as everything else is 'working' OK.
Have seen some pretty red skin, it comes and goes, and never really found a cause.

Back
Top Bottom