Is This What Getting Older Is?

Owl Creek

Chirping
Dec 26, 2022
Maybe I’m the only one. Maybe not. Either way; It’s an internal struggle.

Right now I am treating a hen for what I believe is vent gleet. I’m upset. I’ve tried to give these chickens a good place for the year I’ve had them. We have dogs, horses and chickens. Seems to me that I am unable to accept the reality that I cannot prevent everything. Right? But; I put unrealistic expectations on myself that not only should I be able to prevent bad things from happening to those in my life or my care; I should also be able to fix it if something does.

I just turned 41 and I feel as though I am maybe growing too compassionate or overthinking more. I can never recall being like this. Is this what age does? Hahaha!

“It’s just a dog”
“It’s just a chicken”

I don’t buy that and will never accept those statements but I feel as though it would be better if I could sometimes.

At forty-one, you've pretty much arrived at the point where you've learned enough to avoid making a lot of dumb mistakes, and you're ready to start learning what really matters in life. From this point on, the rubber really meets the road insofar as learning the meaning of life.

Chickens actually have a lot to teach us. They know how to enjoy being who they are and they know how to live each day fully in the present without wasting any time regretting what they did in the past and worrying about the future. For a chicken, there is just the wonderful experience of today and taking full advantage of every good thing that walks into today's experience. Like their human carrying a jar of scratch grain or a spectacular head of cabbage.

And when the time comes when they must leave this life behind, they know how to do it with grace, no fuss and no regrets.

@Owl Creek Yes, you learn that you cannot control everything, no matter how much that you would like to. Sometimes thing's just don't go as we plan them.

@azygous What you said there above reminds me of something that was written by D.H. Lawrence on Self Pity:

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
Without ever having felt sorry for itself.

At forty-one, you've pretty much arrived at the point where you've learned enough to avoid making a lot of dumb mistakes, and you're ready to start learning what really matters in life. From this point on, the rubber really meets the road insofar as learning the meaning of life.

Chickens actually have a lot to teach us. They know how to enjoy being who they are and they know how to live each day fully in the present without wasting any time regretting what they did in the past and worrying about the future. For a chicken, there is just the wonderful experience of today and taking full advantage of every good thing that walks into today's experience. Like their human carrying a jar of scratch grain or a spectacular head of cabbage.

And when the time comes when they must leave this life behind, they know how to do it with grace, no fuss and no regrets.
Well said.

@Owl Creek Yes, you learn that you cannot control everything, no matter how much that you would like to. Sometimes thing's just don't go as we plan them.

@azygous What you said there above reminds me of something that was written by D.H. Lawrence on Self Pity:

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
Without ever having felt sorry for itself.

I had my yearly physical with my doctor and was asking her about why all of a sudden I feel emotionally vulnerable. That’s the only way I could describe it. She said it had a lot to do with age.

Here I thought mid life crisis’ were supposed to be full of fast cars and new balance sneakers with jean shorts haha!
Apparently it’s an unraveling of sorts. A dramatic struggle to fit in as many things as you want before you can’t anymore.

I’m trying to find a way to curb the constant worry. I think that’s the worst part. Not the compassion or desire to do right but the worry and guilt. I suppose it’s a form of anxiety.

I do love watching my chickens lol. They’re something else for sure.

When we are overcome with worries, we aren't living in the present or we are fretting about the effects of something in the past. This is where your chickens can help. They know only the present moment. Let them teach you how to be right here right now.

The purpose of life is to experience being here, to experience and savor each moment as full and unique. It's where joy is found. Sit with your chickens when you feel worried and let them anchor you to the moment you are experiencing. They can teach you this. It's the secret of happiness.

Your doctor could run some blood tests to find out what your hormone levels are. If you are female, you may discover you are premenopausal, meaning your hormones may be changing their balance. This can cause a lot of anxiety. HRT (estrogen for women) can help tremendously.

I had my yearly physical with my doctor and was asking her about why all of a sudden I feel emotionally vulnerable. That’s the only way I could describe it. She said it had a lot to do with age.

Here I thought mid life crisis’ were supposed to be full of fast cars and new balance sneakers with jean shorts haha!
Apparently it’s an unraveling of sorts. A dramatic struggle to fit in as many things as you want before you can’t anymore.

I’m trying to find a way to curb the constant worry. I think that’s the worst part. Not the compassion or desire to do right but the worry and guilt. I suppose it’s a form of anxiety.

I do love watching my chickens lol. They’re something else for sure.
Just go with the flow. Don't try to live life too fast, as you will miss the beauty and the enjoyment of every day. Catch up with those thing's that you have put off doing around your house or property even if it's just a little bit at a time.

Thanks everyone. I may ask my doctor to see what my T levels are

Right now; I have a hen with a bacterial infection and think another is getting the same thing. I’m both anxious and aggrevated. Vet has already prescribed Clavamox for my favorite hen.

Ask about thryroid, too.
I certainly will.

It may just be all we have going on. We are taking care of my wife’s 2 uncles with Parkinson’s and her 80 year old grandfather. We are trying to get the rental house ready for new tenants who are expecting a baby in March. Still trying to get some land surveyed so we can purchase it and build our home. Builder is ready. County is ready. Favor here, favor there. Just feels like I don’t have a moment. Plus a hen is sick so treating that.

Back
Top Bottom