Is this what I think it is?!?!?

Quote:
31816_lable2.jpg

They do not free range, the spot looked more like a bullseye to me but.... we had eight other eggs, and none of them had it, and they all did do the squat so I don't know.....

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that this white bullseye is the nucleus of the egg where "IF" it was fertile, where the new embryo would develop. If I remember this correctly, non-fertile eggs also have the same spot. Why some are more noticeable than others I'm not sure? So it is possible that egg wasn't fertile - you may not have a roving roo among your hens, haha.

OK, I am thoroughly confused!!! I have 6 chickens, supposedly all pullets....red sex link, a couple months ago I even posted pics of one that always was bigger and looked different....they are about 30 weeks old now...all *should* be laying....I get 5 eggs most days...never more, sometimes 2 or 4....I saw this post. I've seen those bullseyes a few times....NO ONE's crowing....or jumping on anyone....Do I have a roo too????

Chickens usually lay 5-6 eggs a week, so just because you don't get 6 in one day, doesn't mean you have a roo. By this time, I'm sure a roo would look like one and act like one pretty well.

To really settle the fertile/non fertile, pop them in an incubator for a week and see if there is anything growing.

My 6 chickens are definitely ALL girls and I occasionally get the white dot on my eggs. But there is no "halo" around the dot. I'm not an expert, but I think the "halo" is what indicates fertility. And my chickens have NO access to a rooster, so I know they are not fertile.

Mags.........all I see are girls in every pic you posted.

ETA: In this link you can see the difference. The first egg is NOT fertile, but has the white dot. The next 2 are showing a fertile egg.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom