Is this what they mean by a "favorite nest box"? :)

Doesn't matter how many boxes I add, I get this almost every day. The killer are the ones who scream and cry to use a box when an empty one is right there. UGH!

Too funny! I agree, they get very bratty about their favorite nest boxes! Mine switch favorites every now and again and trick me! I go to get the eggs all out of the box and all the sudden all of them are in the "other" box. The worst is that I only have two boxes and one of my pullets just went broody in the 'favorite' box! This is causing a major uproar in the coop and she's not movin'! lol
lau.gif

I just have to say that the phrase 'use the nest box' in conjunction of the mental picture of a chicken dancing around with her legs crossed is cracking me up.
lau.gif

That picture is great! Thanks for sharing! Mine do the same thing, but I've never caught 3 in one box. I have 2 boxes for 6 girls and they always use the same one box! I'm constantly finding broken eggs from those ciucciarells. Lol
idunno.gif

The worst is that I only have two boxes and one of my pullets just went broody in the 'favorite' box! This is causing a major uproar in the coop and she's not movin'! lol
lau.gif
I just went through that... it was awful. The girls kept piling in on top of the 2 broodies sharing the box! When the broodies decided to kick them out and the girls started using another box, I ended up throwing away 27 unhatched eggs
rant.gif
the broodies left behind...

That is SOOOO FUNNY! I can't wait to see what my hens do about the box arrangment. I have 5 hens and 2 boxes. I still have a few more months to wait to get any eggs.

If 1 bird has it, it must be the one everyone wants. my birds do the same thing all the time. We were going to add more nest boxes at one point, but why? They prefer 2-3 of the boxes, and that's where they all lay.

I have 4 nesting boxes and they don't like any of them.....They like to sit on the divider that is between them. LOL....Silly HENS!!!

Back
Top Bottom