1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Is this worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by River Faerie, Nov 25, 2013.

1. River Faerie

River Faerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    My poor girl had chorizo. I treated her with antibiotic, and separated her. On the heels of that, she got fowl pox. Now I've found this in her coup, and don't know if it came out of her or not. Is it worms? If so, how do I treat it? Thanks![​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't tell if that is a worm or not, but some good worm meds are Valbazen, Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer, and Safeguard paste. Don't use wazine although every feed store person recommends it, because it only gets roundworms.

3. River Faerie

Apr 30, 2013
    It is not segmented. It looks like tiny intestines. This piece was about 4 mm wide, and 5 cm long. It's pink, and it's rubbery. I pulled on it with a stick, and it was elastic enough to not break until I pulled hard. When I got it to break, it was solid inside and broke like silly putty (jagged-ish).

4. River Faerie

Apr 30, 2013
    Also, honestly, it's shaped like stool. It's not got an equal diameter throughout, and has a lumpyish non-smooth end.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It is shed intestinal lining. Nothing to worry about unless it's constant.

6. River Faerie

Apr 30, 2013
    So, why is she shedding it? Is it due to illness?

7. River Faerie

Apr 30, 2013
    And what if it becomes constant? There was about 6 inches worth, total.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Is it constant?

9. River Faerie

Apr 30, 2013
    I haven't seen it before. It just started. She has been pretty sick, but has continued to eat and drink. She wasn't quite over the chorizo (but past the maybe dying part) when she got fowl pox (on her eyes and nose). So, now she's had fowl pox for a bit over a week. I saw these things this morning. It's possible I wouldn't have seen them before, because she's been staying on the upper level of the coup. Last night, it got very cold, and she moved down. So, checking on her this morning caused me to look on the lower level (where she has been defecating all along).

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If I had one that did that more than once I would worm. I'm not saying that it is a worm, or caused by them, I just like to rule out worms in case they start to show other symptoms. If you live in the US wormers are very easy to get online or at a feed store. I use Safeguard, but many people here prefer Valbazen.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by