Is this wry neck? Came on suddenly. 4 week old runner duckling. Possible injury.

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I posted in the emergency section last night with no luck.

Last night I found my 4 week old runner ducklings had escaped from their enclosure and had been exploring the basement. Upon putting them back I noticed one of them acting funny. Neck bent funny when standing, dazed, sitting a lot, head trembling when sitting and his neck looks swollen. See pic and video.
I took him for a bath and he wasn't very interested. Just floated there somewhat lopsided and stared at the wall. Then cuddled him until 2:30am. He's eating and drinking. I add a vitamin mix to their water and nutritional yeast to their food.
Seems to be the same this morning.

Could he have hurt his neck or possibly ate something when exploring the basement?

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_042324889.jpg
    PXL_20231007_042324889.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 51
It's not wry neck but something is def going on. Have you checked around the basement to see what he may have gotten into?
There aren't any chemicals or anything but there's lots of potential things it could have swallowed. I found them in an area of the basement that my hubby uses to work so maybe a nail/screw. Could even be a mouse. Who knows.

There aren't any chemicals or anything but there's lots of potential things it could have swallowed. I found them in an area of the basement that my hubby uses to work so maybe a nail/screw. Could even be a mouse. Who knows.
Are you almost done building their coop?

Coop is done. My older ducks live in it when they aren't free ranging. I'm in Canada and it's getting down to single digits at night so I was waiting until they were fully feathered to start the introductions.

It may have tried to reach into something and got its neck caught and injured it trying to pull it back out. It looks like either that or it has something in its neck that should not be there. So sorry this happened to the little one. I hope it gets better soon. Without an x-ray of it, it would be hard to tell exactly what is causing that.

Back
Top Bottom