Is this Wry neck?!? Looks really bad!

slimpys

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
I have 4 silkie chicks that are about 5 -6 weeks old. I came home from work last night to find one with his head pretty tilted. Did some research on BYC and got pro-visol tonight after work. I came home and its looking worse. Does this look like wry neck, or is this something else? Yesterday he had seemed still pretty up-beat, but tonight he keeps trying to back into a corner and just doesn't seem very good.

(Sorry for the bad picture quality)

So, the original chick I put down as it kept getting worse, wasn't eating or drinking. Now, one of the remaining chicks has similar symptoms but worse - rapid onset (fine this morning), puts it's head completely under it's body or buries it's head in the bedding. I gave it a little provisol and vitamin B and will see how he is in the morning

A few questions- this is my first set of silkies and I got them from someone that bought the eggs from 2 very high quality breeders. Is this normal for silkies to have 2 of the 4 chicks I purchased get this? Is there something I may not be doing right? I raised 13 chicks last spring from a feed store and had no health issues. All were hardy breeds though. Any chance it is genetic? I'm pretty sure these 2 came from the same breeder, but this latest chic is white, so probably different parents.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

--Tracy

Anyone have ideas? I wad able to get the chick to eat this morning, but just found it completely on it's back. Kind of like when a beetle is on it's back and can't roll over. This chick was fine yesterday morning and now seems worse than the first one

So, the original chick I put down as it kept getting worse, wasn't eating or drinking. Now, one of the remaining chicks has similar symptoms but worse - rapid onset (fine this morning), puts it's head completely under it's body or buries it's head in the bedding. I gave it a little provisol and vitamin B and will see how he is in the morning

A few questions- this is my first set of silkies and I got them from someone that bought the eggs from 2 very high quality breeders. Is this normal for silkies to have 2 of the 4 chicks I purchased get this? Is there something I may not be doing right? I raised 13 chicks last spring from a feed store and had no health issues. All were hardy breeds though. Any chance it is genetic? I'm pretty sure these 2 came from the same breeder, but this latest chic is white, so probably different parents.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

--Tracy

Sorry I just don't know the answers. Hopefully someone will!

Ok i have a baby chick i just hatched at about 2:00 today and its neck it to the right kind of cockeyed and he keep falling backward and on its back and keep trying to set him back up but its just not working so if anyone might know what is wrong with him/her please give me some cures.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom