IS too much calcium bad?

Depend on if the chicken is laying or not.
The easiest thing to do is just offer a starter/ grower and offer Oyster Shells on the side.

I believe that you were asking about a Breeder feed and feeding it year round, most good breeder feed still has a good bit of added calcium but not as much as a layer feed.
Example -
Buckeye Layer/ Breeder

Crude Protein, min. 18.00%
Lysine, min. 0.85%
Methionine, min 0.38%
Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
Crude Fiber, max. 4.50%
Calcium, min. 2.70%
Calcium, max. 3.70%
Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
Salt, min. 0.10%
Salt, max. 0.60%
Vitamin E, min. 18 IU/lb

A better alternative would be Buckeye Big 4

Crude Protein, min. 20.00%
Lysine, min. 1.10%
Methionine, min 0.39%
Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
Crude Fiber, max. 4.00%
Calcium, min. 0.70%
Calcium, max. 1.20%
Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
Salt, min. 0.10%
Salt, max. 0.60%

If you want a Purina product you could go with Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner which also has the animal protein that they should have in there diet,

Crude Protein, not less than 19.0%
Crude Fiber, not less than 12.0%
Crude Fat, not more than 2.0%
Lysine, not less than 0.8%
Methionine, not less than 0.3%
Calcium, not less than 0.85%
Calcium, not more than 1.35%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.8%
Salt, not less than 0.35%
Salt, not more than 0.85%

All feeds listed contain animal protein.

Chris
Be careful with Purina Flight Conditioner. I bought a bag in June & it had no animal protein. My feed store told me they took it out of all game bird feed. I don't know if they really did. I know my bag had none listed. Email Purina & find out first, otherwise it's no better than Flockraiser.

I looked at the Fiber content 12.0% for the Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner. Is this too high for chickens? Fiber is good for feather development. I know in Storey's duck book that Dave Holderread authored that he reccommends a Game Bird Flight Conditioner feed if a waterfowl feed is not available. Can someone expand on this please? There is a feed dealer in the area who is carrying this feed now and I am considering feeding this ration. Thanks.
If you want a Purina product you could go with Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner which also has the animal protein that they should have in there diet,

Crude Protein, not less than 19.0%
Crude Fiber, not less than 12.0%
Crude Fat, not more than 2.0%
Lysine, not less than 0.8%
Methionine, not less than 0.3%
Calcium, not less than 0.85%
Calcium, not more than 1.35%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.8%
Salt, not less than 0.35%
Salt, not more than 0.85%

All feeds listed contain animal protein.

Chris

I looked at the Fiber content 12.0% for the Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner. Is this too high for chickens? Fiber is good for feather development. I know in Storey's duck book that Dave Holderread authored that he reccommends a Game Bird Flight Conditioner feed if a waterfowl feed is not available. Can someone expand on this please? There is a feed dealer in the area who is carrying this feed now and I am considering feeding this ration. Thanks.

In short dietary fiber can have positive effects on gut health, welfare, and reproductive performance. It can also be used in the need for controlled growth of pullets and turkey breeder.
If we look at a "free-ranging" fowl, it's intake of grass and seed are somewhat high in turn there fiber intake is high also.
To me by supplementing fiber is no different than one "free-ranging".

Chris

Thank you Chris09 for the clear and detailed answer! Sounds like a decent feed then.

x2 If you have roos or a mixed age flock or any non laying hens this is the easiest thing to do. A chicken on their own will not eat too much calcium. If it is provided on the side, they will only eat it when they need it. The problem comes when you feed layer feed to any non laying birds - they can not choose not to eat the calcium that they do not need.

I am concerned about this. All of my birds will gobble up oyster shell, even the rooster. I am not confident that my birds "know" how much calcium they need.

I am concerned about this. All of my birds will gobble up oyster shell, even the rooster. I am not confident that my birds "know" how much calcium they need.

Due to my local ordinances I have never had a rooster :( so I am not certain what is normal eating behavior for them, but it is my amature understanding that they do need some calcium, just way less than laying birds who need lots of calcium. I'm sure others know more.

What are you feeding?
Your feed could be lacking something that your rooster/s are looking for.
If you put Apple Cider Vinegar in there water they could be taking in the extra Calcium to neutralize the amount of Acid that is in there system.
Much like someone taking Tums for heartburn or acid stomach.

Chris

Be careful with Purina Flight Conditioner. I bought a bag in June & it had no animal protein. My feed store told me they took it out of all game bird feed. I don't know if they really did. I know my bag had none listed. Email Purina & find out first, otherwise it's no better than Flockraiser.
I just check both the Purina Game Bird Starter w/ BMD 50 and the Purina Game Bird Flight Conditioner today and they both had animal protein in it.
Might be just what your mill is getting in.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom