Is Tree tea oil safe to soak your birds feet in?

Pure Ducks

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2022
Hi, My duck has had the kernel removed for bumble foot and it was suggested by a vet to soak her feet in castille soap /tea tree oil mixed with warm water. I feel that it may be toxic. Tea tree oil, even three drops is strong and it goes every where on her body, besides her feet. She seems to be off her feed and not as well when starting these soaks? Does anyone know about tea tree oil soaks being toxic?

Just wanted to add, birds are very sensitive to fumes and smells from products, even 'natural' oils. Tea tree is one of the worst offenders (if you've ever smelled it). It's extremely strong and it would likely make your duck very ill.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
How does the foot look now that the kernel is out? you can soak in warm Epsom saltwater.
Hi,
I have always soaked bumble foot in Epsom salts (though not salt water?) but really nothing special. You have to soak a long time to get the kernel out and my ducks can take it only for 6 minutes. Her foot is healing nicely after the surgery, but she can't walk!! and it may be the daily tea tree foot soaks the Vet prescribed! (I stopped it after 3 times and I'm using Epsom salts instead) but she may be toxic. I'm changing Vets....I probably need a detoxifier for my duck.

Last edited:
Definitely go epsom if there's an open wound involved. Fill a bowl with warm water and dilute the epsom salt, wrap your duck in a towel and place them over the bowl with the target foot inside and sit with them. - they'll likely fall asleep as all poultry seem to unanimously enjoy an epsom soak. It works to soften kernels, gently cleanse, relax the muscles and eases pain! A win win all around.

For wrapping, non-stick gauze, betadine without pain relief, and vet wrap are your friends. The bandaging should be kept dry till it's closed, but don't forget she'll need a daily 'bath' to maintain her water proof. - let her have a deep tub swim between bandage changes and the soak for about 15-30 mins a day and she should be able to sort herself out.

Definitely go epsom if there's an open wound involved. Fill a bowl with warm water and dilute the epsom salt, wrap your duck in a towel and place them over the bowl with the target foot inside and sit with them. - they'll likely fall asleep as all poultry seem to unanimously enjoy an epsom soak. It works to soften kernels, gently cleanse, relax the muscles and eases pain! A win win all around.

For wrapping, non-stick gauze, betadine without pain relief, and vet wrap are your friends. The bandaging should be kept dry till it's closed, but don't forget she'll need a daily 'bath' to maintain her water proof. - let her have a deep tub swim between bandage changes and the soak for about 15-30 mins a day and she should be able to sort herself out.
Hi, Thank you. The info in the first paragraph I know already, (but my ducks can only handle 6 minutes tops soaking their feet., no sleeping here)
The bottom paragraph, the part concerning the daily "bath" to maintain her water proof, I'm not catching what you mean???

Go to the link I gave you and use any of the flushes there just go right by the instructions.
Thank you again Lydia, I have been giving my Duck, Nutri-Drench for Poultry. But I'll try the other flushes too. She still isn't walking (sprain?) or wasing herself/preening?!

Back
Top Bottom