Jvillemudkitten

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
I know there are several threads on bumblefoot and I swear I’ve combed through them all.. but I figured I would add mine to the mix..

I have a welsh harlequin, free range, who now has her 2nd case of bumblefoot in 2 years.. this time it’s pretty severe. I’ll add photos to the end.

It went on a bit prolonged because our new pup terrorized the poor duck and I assumed it was some sort of strain so I gave her a week to rest from that before I checked for bumblefoot.

Once discovered, I opened the scab and pulled out about 1/2inch long skinny kernel. Talk about disgusting. Should have taken a picture but my husband freaked and flipped it out haha!

The direction of the kernel was up the toe towards the ankle. I got out as much as I could, cleaned the site with chlorohexadine solution, sprayed with vetmycin, started her on a dose of Clavamox and then brought her inside for recovery.

From everything I’ve read a bone X-ray should be performed but here we are, avoiding that step. She’s been on 250mg or clavamox for 10 days now with significant changes in where the soft tissue is vs where the hard tissue is.. so I can’t quite tell if the hard tissue is scar tissue or a new kernel forming..

For example.. her ankle was hard, i thought maybe a kernel was in there.. but now it’s softer and appears more like there’s liquid vs a kernel..

And her toe was soft after I pulled the original kernel but now it’s back to being hard.

The affected areas are definitely warm to touch, but it doesn’t seem to be spreading. My friend is a vet tech and we’ve discussed opening up some of the deeper areas to see if there’s infection to remove but with the changing of the feel of the foot I’m not sure that’s a good idea anymore.

So I guess the question is; how long should I leave her on the clavamox? Should she have a heating pad at this point? I’m worried she may get aspergillosis if left on for too long (per all my internet readings).. and should we go in to remove additional infections? I’m thinking that soaking isn’t quite going to fix this because the infection isn’t quite at the scab it’s deeper into the foot..

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Notes:
-she’s inside.. temperature is 68-72F
-She’s laying on a bunch of towels that are laid over carpet
-she’s drinking fine and barely picks at a pellet, but will eat the fruit I put in her water
-I’ve also been giving her the little packets of chick probios in her water.
-she’s not thrilled about going for a swim, she hops out relatively quickly if I fill the tub up for her

I have photos of her good foot and bad foot for comparison

Attachments

• IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 11
When my Runner was on Clavamox it was 14 days
As for her bumble it does look like the infection has spread. I would not perform surgery but since you have a vet tech to help I'd say that will be your decision. When my Runner had Bumble it was not like any I had in any of my chickens so I took her to the vet to make sure it was bumble this is what hers looked like. I had her on the Clavamox for 7 days when I decided to use a scalpel to make a small incision then I popped that kernel right out. Packed the hole wrapped and finished her meds she also had Meloxicam.
IMG_2286.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom