Is ur coop close or far away from your house ?

OKAY, I had your problem this summer!!! LEAVE IT RIGHT WHERE IT IS (IMPROVE ON THE STYLE IF YOU WANT) BUT GET YOURSELF A LOAD OF PEA GRAVEL...THE KIND YOU CAN USE AROUND PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT. I know you might think this a lot of work but I spread it at least 4 inches deep and my problem is solved. I actually first spread 2 inches onto the soaked run after a rain and they pressed this into the dirt in about a months time. This however was actually useful, as when it all dried out at the end of the month I had a great foundation to spread the 4 inches onto. We have since seen huge fall rains and have had no problem. The only thing I would have changed after seeing the first 2 inches pressed into the ground might be to add landscaping cloth first (the kind that allows water to pass through). So now, even when the rivers run.....they run around my run:D

FYI: My run actually looks really pretty now with the stone instead of dirt.

I always suggest to at least look into doing a French drain. They're great if you don't like having an open ditch in your yard.
Here's a video example:

French drains are good for dealing with summertime mud but IME they don't do terribly well at preventing temporary flooding from big storms and they REALLY don't work in the wintertime when the ground is frozen. To be fair, I am not sure how often the ground freezes very much in Jackson NJ (I used to live a couple hours away from there, but just not so sure about that particular area). But in general, they are not a complete solution to runoff issues for Northerners.

Pat

The ground does freeze quiet often during winter, unfortunately. The grass and dirt is all icy. Yesterday the front door of their run was frozen shot and inside their run, the woodchips,hay are also frozen. I let them out today to the play area where they could get planty of sun, atleast it's much warmer then the closed run area.
I looked at the "french drain sytem" from youtube and mant other. It probably elimanates the flood but not prevent it. We have decided to relocate them to option #3-4 because the water is about 15 ft away and 20 ft from out garage. They'll be much easier to get too and plus the sun is there pretty much all day. I'll put some small pine trees inside of the run to have some sort of shade during the summer along with a roof. I've checked out that area during and after a heavy rain and it didn't look like it in mud puddles or anything. After putting the shed/coop along with the new run, I could dress it up with plants and flowers in the spring.
The current area right now, except the french drain, we have tried everything you can think of, and nothing worked. Maybe the new location can resolve all those problems
idunno.gif

Thank you all for your feedbacks, any other suggestions or ideas will be greatly appriciate too

The spot where our coop is being built is a low area.
It is behind the shop not far from the house. We are building the base up by 16" with sand. There are some good ideas on here and with your space you could make a cottage style tractor that would allow you to move them around. There are alot of great ideas in the coop section along with this thread.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom