Is ur coop close or far away from your house ?

I'm going to get the river sand in my pen as soon as things dry up a little. It seems that over the years the chicken run has "lost a little elevation" so now the water from one side of the yard runs straight in there. I was out in the rain the last couple days diverting water around the run and probably the way it used to be before all our tractoring, chickens and ag. Yeah, you'll have to work around it because it does seem the water follows you around anyway. As long as your not in a low spot you should be able to work around it. Look at the whole thing as one of those sort of long term, never ending chicken enhancements. It was last year I noticed the run around the hen house was swamped. The chickens would have to step out of the house right into water and I thought, gee they didn't used to have to do that!

I'm guessing you live in California. I've been hearing that they have had alot of rain in the last couple of days. You've found your solution, I'm very happy for you. Unfortunately when rain comes thru their run, the soil or whatever is in the run over time slides somewhere else. In my case right at the entry of the run
sad.png
so it gets pretty difficult for me to sometimes open the door. Oh especially right after the rain, if it's cold enough it turns into ice then for sure I can't open the door
barnie.gif
. I'm at the where two small hills ends, that is why all that rain comes straight thru it from both side. I do have to move the current coops and shed because the newest coop I've built is blocking 80% of their sun too. So the best decision is to move them all. If only I could find wheels to I could make them into portable.

i'm going thru that right now... a lot of the wood has expanded, and they don't want to close right, so i had to bust out with bungee cords... my friend's pens also all warped and got ruined... the ply wood base split up sick... he's gonna have to redo the entire pen... sucks...

also, i have my pens and coops all directly outside of my bedroom door... i have a bunch of feral cats because of the river bed behind my house... and owls...

Back
Top Bottom