Is weight an accurate indicator of whether hens are fat or not?

are only heritage rirs classified as actual rhode island reds?

They are the only type that actually meet the breed standard, yes. It's a very, very rare occurance for hatchery birds to have both the proper coloring and the correct build. But I will add that the Production Reds lay better than true RIRs.

They are the only type that actually meet the breed standard, yes. It's a very, very rare occurance for hatchery birds to have both the proper coloring and the correct build. But I will add that the Production Reds lay better than true RIRs.
Then I definitely don't have those
lol.png

What is the average lifespan of a PR, and how can you tell if a hen is too fat?

Average lifespan is about 5 to 10 years. The biggest indication of a weight problem would be activity level. Healthy birds are very active in the morning and evening hours, scratching around and foraging. The middle part of the day is spent mostly resting. Birds that never venture away from the food and water are very likely overweight.
Just keep the treats limited, and give them adequate run space with lots to do, and it should never be a problem. They will not overeat pellets. It's treats that really do the damage, in terms of fat build up. Lots can be done to encourage a flock to be more active. A pile of grass clippings can keep a small flock occupied for days. A stump or large rock in the run that gets flipped occasionally to reveal bugs is good, too. Hang chunks of melon, squash, or cabbage heads for them to jump and peck at. These are ways to 'treat' your flock, and at the same time, make them work.

In my experience, production reds tend to produce a great deal of eggs, they are great layers, but seldom last more than 3 years. I think as an average 5-10 years is too high.

Mrs K

In my experience, production reds tend to produce a great deal of eggs, they are great layers, but seldom last more than 3 years. I think as an average 5-10 years is too high.

Mrs K
The question was average lifespan. If they don't succumb to laying issues, and they aren't killed by predator or illness, 5 to 10 years is how long most chickens will live.

Last edited:
The question was average lifespan. If they don't succumb to laying issues, and they aren't killed by predator or illness, 5 to 10 years is how long most chickens will live.
Are all "modern" RIRs called production reds now? also, I read that laying hens have weak livers. Could I maybe give them turmeric as a supplement to reduce body fat and strengthen their livers? if so, how much?

No. Not all Rhode Island Reds are Production Reds. But if you want real, bred to the standard Rhode Island Reds, you have to go to a breeder. The ones from just about any hatchery, "heritage" or not, are going to be Production Reds.
No idea about the turmeric.

Back
Top Bottom