Is what I'm seeing a blood ring?

my4ladies

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
I'm sorry I don't have a picture of my actual egg, but I do have one for comparison. It's from silkiechicken's egg candling progression sticky:
230_day_2_small.jpg
(I hope it's allowed to borrow a pic
hmm.png
) My candled egg looks like this
big_smile.png

This is a good egg, but when I have been googling 'candling eggs' I'd come across what bad eggs look, having the blood ring. And to me, this pic and the blood rings I've seen look similar. So does anyone know how you can tell the difference? The only thing I've noticed is that this ring (in the good egg) is perfectly round...while the bad ones seem to be not so.

Oh, and might I just add that this whole egg incubating thing is worse than being pregnant!!!! (and even more so b/c I don't have a real incubator...so it's like walking on.....yep, egg shells!!!)

Last edited:
The picture you have is an egg that has been incubated for 48 hrs which is a little early to show blood rings or even veining. Between days 2 and 3 is when the veining will become visible. At 48 hours you'll only be able to see the dark shadow of the yolk and possibly a dark ring on the yolk as the circulatory system starts to develop.

Here's a good pic(link below) of what a blood ring will look like... sometimes they are a complete ring and sometimes just a semi-circle or even just a semi straight line... when you see a blood ring it will be much wider and longer than any of the veining and the veining has typically disappeared as the blood is now in the blood ring. They can sometimes be hard to see if the embryo has recently quit... if you are unsure, keep incubating and check again in another 24-48 hours.
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/images/IMG0013.jpg

Last edited:
I just ran across another post that had a link to these pics... awesome pics if you want to see what is going on inside of your eggs at the different stages of development.

eta warning

WARNING!!! some folks may find the pictures at the link below disturbing. These are actual photos of the inside of developing eggs at different stages.
http://poultryworld.tripod.com/embryo.htm

Last edited:
I don't personally candle to check for blood rings until day 10, when it's starkly obvious that is what they are instead of being possibly veins. I'd recommend that you wait as well.

I didn't realize that a blood ring wouldn't show so early. This morning (when I posted this) I saw a perfectly round circle on my 3.5 day old egg. Now, 7 hours or so later, there is the ring still, then a dark spot attached to the outer of the 'ring' that was definitely NOT there before. I hope this is a good sign!! Oh...and I'm not seeing any veining yet, but maybe my light's not strong enough.

Thank you!

EDITED: DUH!! So I looked back at that same sticky and saw that silkiechicken's pic at 76 hours was very comparable to what I saw and described above, except I don't see any veins....yet.

Here's silkiechicken's pic, 76 hours:
230_day_3_embryo_better_copy.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom