Is your turkey tense? (a bit of frivolousness plus a serious question)

Haha, glad to know I wasn't the only one! I also got confused with my first ducklings when they got their oil glands. I had never seen one up close like that until this year with my Indian runners. They look like little fungus puffballs!

I was just gonna guess Rodney as well. How old is s/he? I was basing my guess on both the growing caruncles on the wattle, and on the color change of the neck/head in response to massage. Let us know when you find out!

Love that first photo! Great shot.
If I hadn't known about the beard, I would have freaked out the first time I felt it on my jake Franklin. I still ponder how nature ever came up with that weird idea of having the toms sport that mutated feather on their chest.

Has anyone else ever tried turkey massage? Because the way it makes Rhonda/Rodney just go floppy and sit reminds me of the way a friend's chickens look when he hypnotises them... not that I'd want to try to flip Rhonda/Rodney onto her back even in that state, but it does take a fairly loud/sudden noise to shake her out of it. And s/he's been a lot more docile and tame the last few weeks, even when not recently massaged.
Just wondering is s/he's weird even for a turkey, or if it's a nervous system thing like with chickens?

Back
Top Bottom