Isa Brown chicks

if the school hatched them they can still be isa browns just bought from townline i think. reds are girls white are boys
If you purchased eggs from Townline as ISA Brown eggs, then they could be true ISA Browns. Depending on where the eggs come from and the parent stock they could be classified a Red Sex-Links. They look identical to ISA Browns and are still good layers. The color of the chicks are the same in both when hatched. The female chicks are more of a buff color and the male chicks white. I breed Rhode Island White females to a Rhode Island Red male and get the same color which would be classified as Red Sex-Links.

These are all female RSL chicks a bit older.

Here are some chicks I hatched. The buff color chicks are the RSL females and the white color chicks are the RSL males. The chicks that are darker are RIR chicks.

These are ISA Brown female chicks

This was my parent stock for my RSL.This was taken a few years ago and the pens have been changed since this picture was taken but I still use the same breeds.

Because only a very few hatcheries have ISA browns. They are a hybrid. If someone bought ISA brown chicks, grew them up, and hatched their eggs, they won't be ISA browns. They will just be a mix. True ISA browns from a hatchery are sex linked, and can be sexed at hatch.

Edited to say that only Townline Hatchery has ISA brown chicks available for sale.
ISA Brown is a registered trademark of Hendrix Genetic company,If you breed your chicks you legally cannot use the name ISA.
I Don't understand this. You get Isa Brown chicks from townline hatchery, hens & 1 rooster, they breed, you set the gathered eggs in the incubator, they hatch and you legally can't call them Isa Brown?? Why? The chicks came from Townline Hatcheries...smh..

I Don't understand this. You get Isa Brown chicks from townline hatchery, hens & 1 rooster, they breed, you set the gathered eggs in the incubator, they hatch and you legally can't call them Isa Brown?? Why? The chicks came from Townline Hatcheries...smh..
Because it's a licensed brand name, not a breed.

I think it's safe to say the hatch in question is 2nd generation and so the color of the chicks bears no relation to gender.

I agree with the prior posts. I have experimented with breeding several generations of them. The chicks will come out all different colors and cannot be sexed at hatch when you breed ISA Browns or any Sex-Links together. In the end I got more and more white chicks as white seems to be the dominate color gene. I have posted several pictures in the ISA Brown and Sex-Link threads.

Because it's a licensed brand name, not a breed.
OK, got it. Therefore, Isa Brown chickens are not a pure breed, I prefer to go with a pure breed of chicken so I believe I will get RIR hens & Barred Rock hens. I will keep the 23 Isa Brown hens I bought from Townline Hatchery until they die of old age, but I won't get anymore of them. Just the two pure breds I mentioned. Thanks for all the info on the Isa Browns.

Back
Top Bottom