ISA brown rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dabe81, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dabe81

dabe81 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Had some bad luck with coyotes last winter and lost most of my flock. Been raising the same type of girls for about ten years now and ordered 20 new girls this spring. I have one in the batch that is white feathered, larger, and a more defined comb at about 5 weeks than the other hens. I'm wondering if they sent me a male by mistake and after looking online there isn't a lot of info on male isa browns. Thoughts?[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    ISAs are red sex inks - you'll often have more luck finding information on red sex link roosters than trying to search under the various proprietary names like ISA Brown.
    The photo isn't the best for IDing breed - can you get one that shows the bird from the side with natural lighting? Red sex link males will show red patches on the shoulders.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 OlGreyMare

4. dabe81

dabe81 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture from today

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It is a cockerel, not 100% sold on it being red sex link

6. dabe81

dabe81 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    That was my thoughts as well but wasn't sure due to the fact that it was purchased with the same lot and all the others are showing traits of the typical female I would purchase. I guess he's a lucky guy who didn't get culled lol. I think I'll name him lucky lmao

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by