Isa Browns

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I am considering getting some Isa Browns. For everyone that has them, do they lay well? How is their temperment? How dark are their eggs? What do you get if you hatch their eggs?

Thank you.

I have Isa Browns. They are the only breed I have had, so I cannot compare to other breeds. I find the very friendly, they follow me everywhere. They are excellent layers - for the last week I have had an egg every day from each of them. They did not stop laying in winter either. They are very common in the UK as a "starter hen" as they are docile and easy to raise.

I have never tried to hatch mine. Hope this helps.

They are best layers avaible of dark brown eggs. My 3 have laid 100% all this year. Very tame. If you breed them they will lose the sex-linkage. They should still be very good layers Mine lay jumbo eggs.

I have heard nothing but great things about them! I am going to add a couple to my flock this spring to help keep up with all the eggs people want from me!
big_smile.png

They are wonderful chickens! I have an unheated coop, insulated with straw. Mine laid all winter long, even during that month of 20-30* below temps. They are so funny and smart! You will love them. Very easy to handle.

digitS' :

If you are getting hatching eggs from hybrid ISA Browns then are you not concerned about a "de-hybridized" offspring?

Steve

I asked the seller about that very thing. He said he has parent stock for the Isa. He said he crosses a RIR and a White Rock.

Does that sound right?​

Back
Top Bottom