Isa Browns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigredfeather, Mar 12, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am considering getting some Isa Browns. For everyone that has them, do they lay well? How is their temperment? How dark are their eggs? What do you get if you hatch their eggs?

Thank you.

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have Isa Browns. They are the only breed I have had, so I cannot compare to other breeds. I find the very friendly, they follow me everywhere. They are excellent layers - for the last week I have had an egg every day from each of them. They did not stop laying in winter either. They are very common in the UK as a "starter hen" as they are docile and easy to raise.

I have never tried to hatch mine. Hope this helps.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    They are best layers avaible of dark brown eggs. My 3 have laid 100% all this year. Very tame. If you breed them they will lose the sex-linkage. They should still be very good layers Mine lay jumbo eggs.

4. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Glad to hear this. I just bought 15 eggs on Ebay for $14.00. Good deal I would say.

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I have heard nothing but great things about them! I am going to add a couple to my flock this spring to help keep up with all the eggs people want from me! [​IMG]

6. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    The guy I bought the eggs from lives in Millington, MI. Is that close to you Daycare Mom?

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    oh oh oh oh...Oh.
    I bought from the same guy on ebay, and my eggs should be here today. We can be hatching buddies! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] : )

8. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

They are wonderful chickens! I have an unheated coop, insulated with straw. Mine laid all winter long, even during that month of 20-30* below temps. They are so funny and smart! You will love them. Very easy to handle.

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    If you are getting hatching eggs from hybrid ISA Browns then are you not concerned about a "de-hybridized" offspring?

Steve

10. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    digitS' :

If you are getting hatching eggs from hybrid ISA Browns then are you not concerned about a "de-hybridized" offspring?

Steve

I asked the seller about that very thing. He said he has parent stock for the Isa. He said he crosses a RIR and a White Rock.

Does that sound right?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by