ISA Browns

My Isa is really friendly and will even allow my 2yr to carry her around, she is quite bossy and will take your hand off for peas :). She lays an egg a day as she should being that's what she was bred for but in saying that the one thing with Isa browns is that they will lay to the detriment of their own health and they tend not to live past about 2, this is when then they might get egg bound or prolapse. The guy I got mine from said most people here bring them back after about 18mths and replace them, he then sells the birds as soup chickens. (mine will live out her life in my yard)

goodpost.gif

happy hens make the best breakfast
D.gif

Actually, mine have typically reached POL at 17 weeks, with some consistency. They lay a pullet egg for only a short period, and then, extra large eggs. This is what they were bred for. With good care and provision, they'll lay 300 eggs their pullet year. I've not had inordinate egg bound problems, but with all such hyper layers, the reality exists.
The birds are friendly and relate well to those who care for them. I've always raised them from day old chicks. I don't know how pullets bought as older birds will react, but my guess it that they'll be fine.

Were your pullets debeaked? Did you purchase them from Townline in Zeeland?
I'm sorry to be dumb. I'm totally new to this chicken raising. What does "POL" mean?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom