ISA brown question

westonhart44

Hatching
Nov 2, 2023
Hi! I currently have 7 ISA brown hens in VA, they were bought in March of this year as chicks, and they have been busting out eggs all summer like no hens I’ve seen before. Just recently though, about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Our egg production just abruptly stopped. It was around when our first cool night was. Nothing has changed about their environment from all summer except the cooler weather. However, Everything I’ve read says that Isa browns should produce through the winter. Just curious as to what you guys think may be going on? We originally thought there was some type of predator (snake) taking our eggs. But we have since proved that not true. We’ve changed their feed and even starting feeding them more. Also as we have been observing them, they still are sitting in their nesting box. Just about every time we go down there, one is in a nesting box, but then we get nothing. Right now there is more poop in their nesting box from them sitting in them, but no eggs. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Nothing has changed about their environment from all summer except the cooler weather.
The days have gotten shorter, too. That often makes hens stop laying.

We’ve changed their feed
What was the old feed? What is the new feed?

and even starting feeding them more.
Have you been limiting their feed? It usually works best to leave feed available all the time, because most chickens will eat the amount they need and not more. They do need to eat more food in cooler weather than they do in warm weather, so when feed is available free-choice you will notice that they eat more at some times than others.

Also as we have been observing them, they still are sitting in their nesting box. Just about every time we go down there, one is in a nesting box, but then we get nothing. Right now there is more poop in their nesting box from them sitting in them, but no eggs.
Hens that are in the nestbox to lay an egg should not poop there.
Hens that are broody (trying to sit on eggs) usually do not poop there either. They typically hold it until they are ready to get off, then go poop on the ground.

If your hens are pooping in the nestboxes, that means they are probably just using the nests as a place to hang out, not the kind of sitting that has much to do with laying eggs or hatching eggs. Broody hens do quit laying eggs, but yours don't sound broody, so I assume the lack of eggs has some other cause.

Just recently though, about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Our egg production just abruptly stopped.
Are they molting?

You might see a bunch of feathers laying around if they are, but you can tell for sure by picking up a chicken and looking at her. Spread the feathers apart in a few places and see if there are pinfeathers underneath (they look like a bunch of toothpick ends.) Spread out a wing and see if the feathers make a nice row, or if there are gaps and a few half-grown feathers.

If they are molting, they will probably not lay again until they finish growing their new feathers. At that point, they may start laying, or they may wait for the days to get longer toward spring before they start laying again.

i think this is from the season change and they’re slowing down for the winter. Should see a Molt soon. While Isa browns are a production breed, they will need lighting to influence laying habits during the fall/winter as that’s what most commercial egg farms do. Heritage breeds will need less light and are less affected by seasonal changes

While Isa browns are a production breed, they will need lighting to influence laying habits during the fall/winter as that’s what most commercial egg farms do.
Agreed.

Heritage breeds will need less light and are less affected by seasonal changes
There are some heritage breeds historically known as "good winter layers." That would not be worth mentioning unless it was unusual for the time.

I would say that most heritage breeds, and most production layer types, have similar light needs if you want them to lay during the winter.

The ISA Browns that I had didn't molt until after they were over a year old, and mine were about 13-14 months old. Agreed with above posts. They are great layers for about 3 years, then they slow or sometimes die, like my friend's did. Sadly, I just lost my last one to a predator, and she was 38 months, but still laying.

Back
Top Bottom