ISA pullets?

Timtg5

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
I purchased ISA pullets from Hoover’s hatchery. They all came red in color. My wife and I are brand new to chickens and a backyard flock. These ISA chicks are growing faster than the other three week old chicks we have.

Can someone confirm these are pullets? And ISA?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1A3713E8-1C29-48EC-958B-264C97C180AB.jpeg
    1A3713E8-1C29-48EC-958B-264C97C180AB.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 626B6B9F-5F80-4EE6-AB86-B2EECC109B42.jpeg
    626B6B9F-5F80-4EE6-AB86-B2EECC109B42.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 11
:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

We have four Isa Browns that we purchased from TSC last spring and the four girls are super friendly and awesome egg layers. I am no expert, but a pullet is a hen chicken under one year old and Isa is the breed of the sex linked chicks you bought. Best of luck, they do grow fast. :)

Definitely ISA browns. I have purchased isa browns at tractor supply, & twice direct from Hoover hatchery. Several years ago, i DID purchase isa cockerels at tractor supply. Hoover sent some ISA brown chicks to tractor supply as straight run. (Odd i know). The cockerels had yellow down, & i actually Chose 3 cockerels, along with 30 pullets.

I think you will love your ISA browns. They are friendly, curious, bold and outgoing, & seem to always be under my feet. They also lay xlarge rich golden brown eggs daily, & egg size often hits jumbo by their second year of laying. The only downside is such high egg production leads to reproductive issues, and they dont live as long as other breeds.

Definitely ISA browns. I have purchased isa browns at tractor supply, & twice direct from Hoover hatchery. Several years ago, i DID purchase isa cockerels at tractor supply. Hoover sent some ISA brown chicks to tractor supply as straight run. (Odd i know). The cockerels had yellow down, & i actually Chose 3 cockerels, along with 30 pullets.

I think you will love your ISA browns. They are friendly, curious, bold and outgoing, & seem to always be under my feet. They also lay xlarge rich golden brown eggs daily, & egg size often hits jumbo by their second year of laying. The only downside is such high egg production leads to reproductive issues, and they dont live as long as other breeds.
That is too funny, I thought only ours were the only ones who are under foot all the time. LOL I have to be so careful as not to step on one.

Unfortunately one of our four girls has egg issues from time to time, so we keep a bottle of Calcium Gluconate on hand and a dose of that puts her back to normal by the next morning. :)

Thank you everyone for your responses. I just cannot get over how fast they are growing. They are twice as big as the Buff, Americanas, and Speckled Sussex we are raising. I was getting nervous, because Hoover's hatchery actually sent me 6 extra chicks with our order. I read some where that some hatcheries will add Roosters to help with insulating your chicks, and to get rid of them. I was starting to think that these six might now be browns, and could be those roosters.

Will a hatchery do that? Especially if you order just pullets.

Yes hatcheries often send cockerels as "packing peanuts" to help keep the pullets warm. However, Hoover hasnt ever included extra chicks in my orders. But i order during the warmer months, so that may be why i never got extras.

Yes hatcheries often send cockerels as "packing peanuts" to help keep the pullets warm. However, Hoover hasnt ever included extra chicks in my orders. But i order during the warmer months, so that may be why i never got extras.
Well I think I got lucky, because of the cooler weather the week we received them. Also, I don't think Hoover's was trusting the USPS. Right now, you never know if you will get your package on time.

Back
Top Bottom