Isabel Welsummer

Thanks for the really informative post I have some Lavender Araucanas that I had been toying with breeding with some Gold Laced Barnvelders for fun to create what we would call a Glarc because as anyone who keeps chicken knows they do not Cluck they Glarc!

( Gold Laced ARuCana =GLARC) :) so even the F1s will be Glarcs! and I had already realised we would get Black birds from that cross.

However now I better understand what you are doing I may take that a few step further and try a bit of selective breeding as well who knows what I might end up with!

Go for it, good luck and keep us posted on that. I'd love to see the end result or even the progress if your open about your projects. If you think about it a lot of breeds could become an Isabel. It's just one more color to add to the spectrum and honestly I could see it becoming a standard in a lot of varieties eventually. And on top of that you you could have Isabel's twice or more in the same breed. Example being Golden Laced Wyandotte and Partridge Wyandotte. The Colors I study the most are Lavender, Chocolates and Blue. You would not believe the things just these three Colors can do. All the hidden potential that's there that just has to be dug up. Definitely my forte!

i love the colors! i am waiting on a yellow. you have some in there, can you get all?

The rules say no but I've seen stranger things happen. That's what's so interesting is that you never know what's gonna happen and I'm always trolling for sports.
Off topic a little. My curiosity here lately has been the Ayam Cemani. I'm curious if adding lavender to this breed could result in an all Lavender bird down to the organs?
Off topic again a friend was showing me a video of a project in Russia where they have been breeding silver foxes for their personality traits and the results have been remarkable. Breeding the more docile breeds together resulted in a more like domestic dog traits and even Changed their color and posture. I'm curious if this could be true in chickens. If something could change even through breeding through personality? All the what if's can have you mind spinning sometimes.

Can you breed the mean out of pit? depends who raises them. I absolutely think you can breed for personalty. i am too much like my mother to think otherwise.I have a mille fleur rooster that has always held one foot in the air. his son does the same.

Can you breed the mean out of pit? depends who raises them. I absolutely think you can breed for personalty. i am too much like my mother to think otherwise.I have a mille fleur rooster that has always held one foot in the air. his son does the same. 

Maybe what I said didn't make since. If I picked only the most docile birds to breed from a specific breed and kept doing that over and over would I get a sport? Breeding for a specific personality could hold surprises as well considering it's all genetic. And something could tag along eventually and come popping out. Could be tricky to do and weaken the group your using but something would have to happen. It could be as subtle as a change in the beak, posture to a new color or pattern. Of course it's theory in chickens and I've never read any documentation on this sort of project.

Last edited:
I guess I'll go ahead and upload one of my Isabel Welsummer males in molt. You can see where the slowest molting is at. It takes so long for this part to come out in the males. And it's the most distinctive part of the Isabel.

Maybe what I said didn't make since. If I picked only the most docile birds to breed from a specific breed and kept doing that over and over would I get a sport? Breeding for a specific personality could hold surprises as well considering it's all genetic. And something could tag along eventually and come popping out. Could be tricky to do and weaken the group your using but something would have to happen. It could be as subtle as a change in the beak, posture to a new color or pattern. Of course it's theory in chickens and I've never read any documentation on this sort of project.
i think i understand now, if they were all docile maybe eventually they would lose their spurs? im sorry, i am not educated on genetics.

Back
Top Bottom