Isabel Welsummer

love the coloring. I'm still working hard to perfect my Welsummers in general, so I'd hate to mess with the coloring too much. I appreciate your work on this coloration though. What breed was the original lavender bird that you crossed in for the coloring? Is it true self blue or are the off spring different color patterns? What other color variations are you working on?

They sir are very cool!

I had not seen that colour before, but reading your story has my interest as I am certain we don't have those available here, yet I have wheaten marans, Welsummers and Lavender Araucana's here in my flock. I even have two blue Australorps from our last hatch.

I am not a breeder by any stretch of the imagination but I am curious to know how you go about such a project. Seems I have the base ingredients here in AUstralia, but no recipe to follow hahaha

So far from all matings I've not had one throwback and that's a very good sign my Isabel's are solid. Every chick is a consistent Isabel with of course auto sexing markings in the Isabel color which I think is very cool :) The original lavender I used to cross was from Hinkjc's Lavender Orpington project. The Isabel is there now and you can cross this over into whatever you like now from Cream Legbars to Crele Orpingtons and do your own Isabel's. We finally have Isabel's everybody!
As far as in what else I'm doing with the Welsummers, I'd like to keep that one under wraps for now. But it's gonna blow some minds when I finally show them :)

The base you have is definitely there to work with. If you have patience and plenty of money for feed then the rest is super easy. First off with any project I always look for the shortest path of resistance. Example if I'm working with a clean legged shank dark egg layer I try to find the two birds with some similarities. This just makes the process easier and I can be a little impatient and I'd hate to have a throwback pop up down the road. So frustrating. But basically cross your lavender over your desired bird. Let's say Wheaten Marans. Your off spring is gonna be solid black in males and females and you'll even get some black with Mossiness of the wheaten in it. With the lavender gene you have to do a sibling mating to pull the lavender back out. Breed brother and sister together and you'll get a wide variety of colors. Thus being blacks, lavenders, wheaten and finally your Isabel. The first Isabel's will be sparse on the first mating and you have to hatch off a good bit to find the perfect chicks to work with. Like I said, always look for the shortest path of resistance and finding your best Isabel's as chicks will cut down on feed and perfection time. Now through my experience with the first Isabel's I did I have a couple Isabel's throw off a lavender so I did large flock matings so I'd not have to start back all over. Now this part could vary from project to project but the ratio for me was around 1 Isabel for every 25 chicks hatched give or take. Take your best Isabel's and cross them back into your wheaten Marans again and you'll notice something different happen. Now your gonna get solid wheaten Marans which will be split lavender. Let me back up a second. You can cross your Isabel's with male or female Wheatens or do both at he same time. It won't matter one bit when working with this gene. Even better if you had the space and money you could cross Isabel males into wheaten females and cross Wheaten males into Isabel females and the Wheatens be from two different lines or lineage. This makes them even stronger in my opinion. Ok now take your split lavender wheaten Marans and do another sibling mating. The offspring this time will only be wheaten Marans and Isabel wheaten Marans. This is basically the end of the process on establishing the Isabel. After this point it's up to you on perfection. Keep crossing the Isabel back into your Wheaten until you've established it's full traits.
I mean let's be honest here. No matter what the breed is you'll never ever be finished perfecting it. It's an endless cycle. There are standards and those guidelines do have to be followed but it's all about having fun and what matters to you.
I explained this process in simple terms as there are so many variables and correct pronunciations that wouldn't do nothing but confuse some first time people and steer them away from attempting to do it. But I hope I explained it as simple as possible and you got an idea of the process of doing your own Isabel project :)

good morning, i am not a breeder but there is something i am curious about.does mating siblings together result in deformities or any other mental or physical abnormalities?

Everyone's opinions will differ slightly here. But yes its not good to do a lot of sibling mating's BUT when your putting new color genes into a breed and the color gene requires sibling mating's then you have too. Or else the color won't pull back out.

The base you have is definitely there to work with. If you have patience and plenty of money for feed then the rest is super easy. First off with any project I always look for the shortest path of resistance. Example if I'm working with a clean legged shank dark egg layer I try to find the two birds with some similarities. This just makes the process easier and I can be a little impatient and I'd hate to have a throwback pop up down the road. So frustrating. But basically cross your lavender over your desired bird. Let's say Wheaten Marans. Your off spring is gonna be solid black in males and females and you'll even get some black with Mossiness of the wheaten in it. With the lavender gene you have to do a sibling mating to pull the lavender back out. Breed brother and sister together and you'll get a wide variety of colors. Thus being blacks, lavenders, wheaten and finally your Isabel. The first Isabel's will be sparse on the first mating and you have to hatch off a good bit to find the perfect chicks to work with. Like I said, always look for the shortest path of resistance and finding your best Isabel's as chicks will cut down on feed and perfection time. Now through my experience with the first Isabel's I did I have a couple Isabel's throw off a lavender so I did large flock matings so I'd not have to start back all over. Now this part could vary from project to project but the ratio for me was around 1 Isabel for every 25 chicks hatched give or take. Take your best Isabel's and cross them back into your wheaten Marans again and you'll notice something different happen. Now your gonna get solid wheaten Marans which will be split lavender. Let me back up a second. You can cross your Isabel's with male or female Wheatens or do both at he same time. It won't matter one bit when working with this gene. Even better if you had the space and money you could cross Isabel males into wheaten females and cross Wheaten males into Isabel females and the Wheatens be from two different lines or lineage. This makes them even stronger in my opinion. Ok now take your split lavender wheaten Marans and do another sibling mating. The offspring this time will only be wheaten Marans and Isabel wheaten Marans. This is basically the end of the process on establishing the Isabel. After this point it's up to you on perfection. Keep crossing the Isabel back into your Wheaten until you've established it's full traits.
I mean let's be honest here. No matter what the breed is you'll never ever be finished perfecting it. It's an endless cycle. There are standards and those guidelines do have to be followed but it's all about having fun and what matters to you.
I explained this process in simple terms as there are so many variables and correct pronunciations that wouldn't do nothing but confuse some first time people and steer them away from attempting to do it. But I hope I explained it as simple as possible and you got an idea of the process of doing your own Isabel project
smile.png

Thank you so much for the insight. Lines, sexes and feed I have, but I would be lacking in the space to be able to have the flock size required to make this quick enough to be viable. Being able to pen off each of those is certainly that hardest part I would face, we just don't have the required space.

It sounds amazing, and as tricky as genetics are, you have made it sound quite straight forward, albeit a long process. I am going to save that text, and someday I am going to come back to this and have a go at our own Isabell project.

Keep up the great work.

Sincerely, Ben

Last edited:
Thanks for the really informative post I have some Lavender Araucanas that I had been toying with breeding with some Gold Laced Barnvelders for fun to create what we would call a Glarc because as anyone who keeps chicken knows they do not Cluck they Glarc!

( Gold Laced ARuCana =GLARC) :) so even the F1s will be Glarcs! and I had already realised we would get Black birds from that cross.

However now I better understand what you are doing I may take that a few step further and try a bit of selective breeding as well who knows what I might end up with!

Back
Top Bottom