ISABELLE LEGHORNS IN USA!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Wheaties, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ChicKat

ChicKat Crowing Premium Member

Thanks for explaining.....I thought maybe you were them.
    [​IMG]

They are rare and beautiful -- love the pictures so thanks for posting.... Same male as in your Avatar right? How to find out more about this color pattern....Google? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

2. cree57i

cree57i Songster Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Backwoods Poultry has been very kind and generous to help me with my breeding program, but I'm not them. Yes, this is the same rooster as my avatar. I have a group of little cockerels who are coming up, unrelated to him, but he is my breeder currently. I hope to have a good little breeding group within a few months. Eggs in the incubator as we speak! I would love to help get this beautiful breed out for more people to enjoy! That was why I am trying to revive this thread. There is an Isabelle Leghorn FB page, but most of the participants are from Europe and Australia.

3. ChicKat

Thanks!

Did some research on the pattern.....and found some interesting information -- it is also called "lavender brown"

http://leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf?phpMyAdmin=92cf0928fc32fa6ade98585639c49441

It looks like the lavender gene added to brown leghorn gives the color..and lavender is recessive so the chicken needs two copies and lav changes the black to a self-blue and the reds to a straw color..so a nice strong diluter.

You are right about the need for more interest in this pattern. ;O) Do your chickens have the typical leghorn disposition and the very 'flighty' personality? How is their egg production? How big (in pounds) do they get?

4. cree57i

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    They have a typical Leghorn disposition and size. They aren't as flighty as my browns, but more flighty than my other breeds. They are not aggressive and love to get out and forage. My isabelles lay 5-6 large, white eggs weekly.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amelia Egghart

Amelia Egghart Songster

Jul 8, 2015
    Fallbrook, CA
    Fantastic. Now there's another breed I need! LOL. Best wishes to you getting your breeding stock going, they are stunning!

6. cree57i

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    These are Isabelle leghorn chicks for the NYD 2016 hatch along hatch.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ChicKat

[​IMG]

8. cree57i

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Babies, Babies, Babies!!!

Fresh from the incubator- Isabel Leghorns and Isbar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ChicKat

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Congratulations!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  10. demikitten

demikitten In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2015
    Are they nice, personality wise? Some leghorns have a rep for being kind of nasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by