Isbar thread

Pics
Hate to hear! You can get Tylan 50 at most feed stores - here I get it from Tractor Supply.

The disease could be a possibility - but also look at the surrounding and try to take out any variable that exist. For example - correct bedding (no cedar), proper heat (95%) - with the ability for the chicks to move away from heat, pure water - there could be calcium or chlorine (if you are in the city) in the water ....... once you do that - then focus on the health of the chick. I do not like the poult packs because in my opinion they do not have what I would think is the proper percent of vitamins ingredients.

One more thing - you could add some apple cider vinegar to the water to entice them to want to drink more.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard you mention the possibility of calcium in the water - what negative effect would that have on the chicks? And along those lines; when should grit and oyster shell be introduced to chicks?

Thanks,
Joe

UPDATE ON MY ISBAR SAGA:

Some of you were interested in the eventual outcome of my situation. I will make a quick recap for those not familiar.

I've had a breeding trio of Isbars since spring. All chicks hatch fine, and at about 2-3 weeks old stop eating and drinking, and then die. Probably 90% death rate. Very frustrating. The adult pen is moved in the yard once-twice per week, brooder and incubator properly disinfected, tried both regular and medicated feeds, treating for cocci, disinfecting eggs, all with no improvement. I was puzzled as the only conclusions I had were 1. genetic problems (but my rooster is from a different person than my hens so I didn't think this was likely) 2. some kind of infection that was vertically transmitted. From my research most yolk infections lead to death in less than a week.

I took 3 chicks an hour away to the state university testing lab. While waiting for the results, I began treating all the pens with Tetroxy HCA (tetracycline). By the time the results were back, my chicks were surviving again- about 80% survivability. OSU was very surprised that tetracycline worked as it is such a low level general antibiotic but they sent me the results and wished me luck. I finished treating the adults and all chicks that were hatched before the eggs were "clean" and then stopped treatment. Well in the last few weeks again my survivability rate has dropped, to about 40%. So I took the next step suggested by OSU and took a chicken and the lab results to a vet this morning. Finding a vet to see a chicken was a ride in itself....

OSU paperwork shows positive cultures for a strain of e. coli, with susceptibility to Baytril and several other antibiotics (OSU had recommended trying Baytril first). The vet said US vets are no longer allowed to treat poultry with Baytril, and the FDA is going after vets who prescribe it for poultry. Instead we are treating the adults with the other OSU recommendation, I can't remember the name but they listed it as TRIMETH/SULFA. In the vet's opinion, there is no question in his mind that my original hatching eggs carried this when I hatched them and it came from one of the Isbar breeders I got stock from. It is not a strain typically found in the soil which I had wondered about. He said the Tetroxy HCA only knocks bugs down so the bird's immune system can fight it, it doesn't usually kill something like this. He asked me to keep him updated in a few months as he is interested to know if this does the job. My only other option is to cull this batch of Isbars and start over.

If you read the latest report from "lonnyandrinda", you can see the benefits of having the Oxine on hand.....there are many bacteria that are very hard to kill. You certainly do not have to use it. It is just what I prefer to use to avoid any latent bacterial problems. It takes very, viery little to be effective in backyard poultry waterers.

Angela

I have bred pigeons for 35 years. I had show birds for most of that time and now have racing pigeons; so the exposure in the show halls and in the racing transporter is dramatic. I have used a product for years; Tek-trol. It is much like Oxine and I love it. It has so many uses and is so safe to use you can spray it while the birds are in the loft. I spray down my entire loft once a year; use it to disinfect all of my nest bowls, waterers and feeders; it even works in my dog kennel to control the urine odor. Now that I have decided to get involved with exhibition poultry I am sure I will continue to use ot there as well.

UPDATE ON MY ISBAR SAGA:

Some of you were interested in the eventual outcome of my situation. I will make a quick recap for those not familiar.

I've had a breeding trio of Isbars since spring. All chicks hatch fine, and at about 2-3 weeks old stop eating and drinking, and then die. Probably 90% death rate. Very frustrating. The adult pen is moved in the yard once-twice per week, brooder and incubator properly disinfected, tried both regular and medicated feeds, treating for cocci, disinfecting eggs, all with no improvement. I was puzzled as the only conclusions I had were 1. genetic problems (but my rooster is from a different person than my hens so I didn't think this was likely) 2. some kind of infection that was vertically transmitted. From my research most yolk infections lead to death in less than a week.

I took 3 chicks an hour away to the state university testing lab. While waiting for the results, I began treating all the pens with Tetroxy HCA (tetracycline). By the time the results were back, my chicks were surviving again- about 80% survivability. OSU was very surprised that tetracycline worked as it is such a low level general antibiotic but they sent me the results and wished me luck. I finished treating the adults and all chicks that were hatched before the eggs were "clean" and then stopped treatment. Well in the last few weeks again my survivability rate has dropped, to about 40%. So I took the next step suggested by OSU and took a chicken and the lab results to a vet this morning. Finding a vet to see a chicken was a ride in itself....

Quote: Rinda you can find Baytril online; look for pigeon products. Look for the 10% solution. It is a great product and is one of the few that is supposed to eradicate the carriers of salmonella. Enrofloxin is the same drug I believe; I know it is the next best substitute. You can also find Baytril listed for dog and cats and I know vets can prescribe it for them. Cipro is the human equivalent of Baytril but is quite expensive without a prescription.

Rinda you can find Baytril online; look for pigeon products. Look for the 10% solution. It is a great product and is one of the few that is supposed to eradicate the carriers of salmonella. Enrofloxin is the same drug I believe; I know it is the next best substitute. You can also find Baytril listed for dog and cats and I know vets can prescribe it for them. Cipro is the human equivalent of Baytril but is quite expensive without a prescription.
Thanks. I've already started the treatment with the generic Bactrim so we will start with that. Yes enrofloxin is the generic name for Baytril. I was told it was only available through a vet; and the vet said the FDA is coming down hard on vets in the US that prescribe it for poultry- even though it is commonly done in Canada! I will keep in mind a web search for it if this doesn't work out. Though honestly if this doesn't work out I will most likely be looking at culling this batch of Isbars and either moving to another breed or starting over...

I just got some eggs from Heather....super nice person and I just bid on the chicks

thumbsup.gif
Haha my hubby was showing me the listing the other day and I said, Ah, I know that high bidder! :)

This is not a project, I didn't do it on purpose, I promise not to try to breed them :) I just had a Brahman and Isbar have Different idea of who they should be breeding with. I thought you might enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom